Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pile of ribs to do, turbo or not?

Options
pescadorzih
pescadorzih Posts: 926
Looks I'll be doing a pile of ribs for Memorial Day weekend. I volunteered to make the ribs for a coworkers family picnic.
I figured it would be around 20-30#. He just told me his wifes grandmother ordered 3 cases of BB ribs. I don't know how many # are in a case. I figure 40#. Will turbo work for a full load in the XL. I'm hoping I can get it done in 3 cooks.
Any tips appreciated on getting this done. I also have 2 charcoal bullet smokers I can fire up too.
SE PA
XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    I am sure you will get lots of great advice coming soon...I know Cazzy or SGH could handle this in their sleep with their big UNITS.. ;)  
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    Maybe this will convince the wife to let me get a "Unit" like SGH's "Unit #7".
    SE PA
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    Weekend bump
    SE PA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Baby Back Turbo Ribs (No flip)
    350 indirect for 1hr 40 min. 
    Before cooking: Pull membrane , rub, mustard, rub. 
    Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. 
    Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub / I like cherry & pecan mix for wood. 
    If you want sauce: opened 15 min early and sauce. I like the sauce on the table.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Since I switched to turbo I have NEVER gone back! I use that regained time for other things rather than baby sitting ribs for 5 to 6 hours! Of course I'm a retired dude so I have more time than saying a working stiff!  OTOH I have less time on the green side of the grass so using my time efficiently has become more of a priority to me LOL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Get a rib rack and cook them like this:

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    Options
    With one egg, you're going to have to cook them in bunches.  You also could give them a few hours on the egg to get some smoke, then move them over to an oven to finish.  

Some way or another, you're going to have to get very creative.  Find out how many racks are in the case and let us know.  My guess would be 12-16.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Or you could buy yourself a pit maker vault and become a turncoat egger...
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • noregard
    noregard Posts: 306
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Or you could buy yourself a pit maker vault and become a turncoat egger…
    ZING!!!! 

Hehe, good one!
    Lethbridge, Alberta         LBGE & MM
  • cazzy
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Or you could buy yourself a pit maker vault and become a turncoat egger...

• bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Turbo is definitely the way to go on ribs.  Easier cook and tastes better.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    So, 350 indirect, for 1:45-2:00 hrs for turbo. Is that correct?
    SE PA
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    Correct.  That mark is when you start to check for doneness.  Mickey's picture above shows you when they are done.  When you pick up the full slab you have to get the 90 degree bend just like in the picture.

When I start to check mine they can take anywhere from another 20 minutes to 40 minutes to get the bend.

@Cazzy does foiling the ends keep them from turning to shoe leather?  Just curious.  Do you put it on at the beginning?  After a certain amount of time has elapsed?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Baby Back Turbo Ribs (No flip)
    350 indirect for 1hr 40 min. 
    Before cooking: Pull membrane , rub, mustard, rub. 
    Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. 
    Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub / I like cherry & pecan mix for wood. 
    If you want sauce: opened 15 min early and sauce. I like the sauce on the table.

Mickey, I used your method last weekend on 2 racks. They were fantastic.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • cazzy
    Options
    fiver29 said:
    Correct.  That mark is when you start to check for doneness.  Mickey's picture above shows you when they are done.  When you pick up the full slab you have to get the 90 degree bend just like in the picture.

When I start to check mine they can take anywhere from another 20 minutes to 40 minutes to get the bend.

@Cazzy does foiling the ends keep them from turning to shoe leather?  Just curious.  Do you put it on at the beginning?  After a certain amount of time has elapsed?

I believe whoever did that foiled the ends because they were overhanging the platesetter. This would give it more heat than the center portion which would make the end pieces very dry and dark.

Due to the end pieces sometimes not being even, overcooking is almost unavoidable.  The best thing to prevent that is to really square up your ribs during trimming.  Cut off those smaller pieces that you know won't make the table.
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everybody.  Looks like the cases are 40#. So, looks like around 120# of ribs to do. 
    SE PA
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Wowza..Hope you have enough Beer..Good luck and have fun.Hat's off to you Sir.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • cazzy
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everybody.  Looks like the cases are 40#. So, looks like around 120# of ribs to do. 
    On one XL...wow.  Do you know anyone with a pit?  You could rent one.
  • kdm
    kdm Posts: 1
    Options
    Are you saying it is "indirect" because the ribs are elevated??? or do you have a plate between the meat and the fire?? Just getting started as I purchased mine today. Thanks!!!

• EggDan
    EggDan Posts: 174
    Options
    Mickey- with no Daisy Wheel, what lower vent setting do you use to hit 350?  In addition, are you using wood chunks or chips?  Thanks!
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    kdm said:
    Are you saying it is "indirect" because the ribs are elevated??? or do you have a plate between the meat and the fire?? Just getting started as I purchased mine today. Thanks!!!

Indirect is with the platesetter in place.
    SE PA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Not sure where you are in SE PA, but if I had 120# of ribs to do I would rent something from Meadow Creek in New Holland. They have very reasonable rates. For example the trailer version of the PR-60 is $95/weekend and that covers cleaning as well. The PR works similarly to the egg, but not as efficient. The heat deflector is a metal drip pan. PM me if you decide to go this route and have questions about Medow Creek.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    @DMW yeah they are about an hour from me. I was debating on looking into renting a pit. I figured they would run around $100 to rent.
    SE PA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I'm not sure the PR-60 would be the best option for ribs, it's just the only one I've rented from them. If you decide to go that route, call and ask for Jesse. Explain what you are cooking and what you have experience on and he will get you set. 
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    Thanks @DMW, I may go that route.  Locally I can only find charcoal grills to rent. I know a guy that rents oil tank pig cookers, but I think only if you're buying a pig from him.
    SE PA