Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What would consider yourself.........

Options
Bama Egger
Bama Egger Posts: 137
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
....a BBQer who keeps the lid closed the entire cook or someone who is spraying, glazing, mopping, etc. slow looks for Butt, Ribs or Brisket?[p]Whatever happened to the belief of "not peeking"? I noticed more and more slow cooked items with sauces and glazes on top. I guess with the BGE it's necessary since the cooking area is small as items need to be rotated, especially ribs.[p]Just curious,
Paul

Comments

• Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    Options
    Paul, 'peeking' on gassers and metals, etc meant a loss of considerable heat and a considerable time to recover the heat. With the Egg, and other ceramic cookers, the heat is held in and the recovery time is practically nil, depending on how long you've been 'peeking', that is.

• MasterMason
    MasterMason Posts: 243
    Options
    Paul,[p]I have done several 16-20 hour cooks that once the lid was closed it didn't get opened again until the internal temp was where It needed to be. Usually when it gets opened it is because someone else wants to see it.[p]
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    I never peek unless I get an unexplained temperature spike/drop or excessive unexplained smoke.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Paul,
    for low and slows, the only time i mop or glaze would be the final quarter hour on ribs. i do this with the dome open. i never open the egg for brisket or butt unless im checking to see if its done

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Woody54
    Woody54 Posts: 148
    Options
    Paul,[p]Hi. my name is Woody and I'm a peeker.
    I am trying to break the habit by opening the daisy wheel wide open and looking down with a flashlight.[p]Woody54