Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Hypoallergenic Dog?

Options
mgd_egg
mgd_egg Posts: 476
My wife and I really want a dog all of a sudden. The catch is my son is pretty allergic to them especially if they lick him. Does anyone have any recommendations? When in doubt ask the bbq forum!
Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois  

Comments

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,628
    Options
    I think some of the new cross-breeds are supposed to be dander free - like labradoodles. I don't know much about them, my wife looked into them for a bit before we got our latest lab.
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    My step son has a labradoodle. Great dog and I love his company. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    You answered it yourself when you said he is especially allergic when licked.  Dog saliva is dog saliva there is no hypoallergenic dog saliva.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • mgd_egg
    Options
    I forgot about Labradoodles. Thanks. 
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I highly recommend you check out a Havanese dog. We've had a Havanese for  6 years now and she is the best dog I've ever owned. They do not shed. so allergies are minimal with this breed. I've owned dogs my entire life Shepherds, Labs and collie mix) loved them all.  But honestly this Havanese dog has them all beat imo.  I Love my dog! Here's a picture of Petunia.
    Here's a link: http://www.havaneseheadquarters.com/havanese.html  < at this site under Home click Havanese to read about.

"I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• mgd_egg
    Options
    @TigerTony Petunia looks like an awesome dog. 

@bigalsworth I'm afraid your right. We might need to wait until he's off to college. 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Our little girl is a Carinoodle  ( Carin Terrier and Miniature Poodle).She is a sweethart.  The Labradoodle are nice too.  If you you find one you like I suggest visiting the dog before you get it to see if there are allergic reaction.  Most dogs that don't shred a lot can have Lee's dandruff,  but that may not always be true.  Check AKC.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Standard poodle, labradoodle or greyhound may fit the bill.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Try to foster a dog to test the waters. No commitments if neither is compatible for each other. They usually supply the food,toys etc for 6 weeks. We are fostering now to entertain another 2 dog home after "Vader" passed last June. Pick a breed of dog you think will work with your situation and find a local animal rescue. Some take in all kinds of dogs but some also only take in certain breeds. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Bichon Frise is a hypoallergenic dog.  My parents have had a couple and they are really cute and easily trainable dogs.  

Greyhound is not.  But they are one of the easiest going, laid back, laziest dogs on the face of the earth.  I had a retired racer and boy was he sweet. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • iCurevegans
    iCurevegans Posts: 19
    Options
    Standard Poodle no foo foo haircut.  Great dog.  

"They may look like gentle, fruit-eating monkeys, but I'm pretty convinced one of these things is gonna suddenly land on my head and start humping my earhole with his sharp, furry penis, so I'm little uncomfortable."
    -Anthony Bourdain

Zionsville, IN
    LBGE, MM
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,784
    Options
    neighbor had an unclipped portuguese water dog, the dog used to swim 5 miles out daily, really fun shaggy dog. hate when they poodlecut them
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    I have an Australian Labradoodle... Awesome dog, no shedding, hypoallergenic.
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    Portuguese Water Dog, Sancho (RIP).  Pros:  Hypoallergenic, incredibly loyal and friendly, great with kids.  Cons:  lived only 10 years.  

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,206
    Options
    You answered it yourself when you said he is especially allergic when licked.  Dog saliva is dog saliva there is no hypoallergenic dog saliva.
    +1. Wife has the same allergy and "hypoallergenic" dogs don't help. 
  • mgd_egg
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the help.  There are lots cool dogs out there.  I think it would be best if I get my son in front of them and see how he reacts.  
  • Chief9
    Chief9 Posts: 141
    Options
    We have a golden doodle that is great.... No shedding
    Carrollton, Va
  • jccuk
    jccuk Posts: 9
    Options
    Wife is very allergic to dogs. We kept a Maltese during weekends from a breeder during tax season and finally kept the dog after tax season since the wife had no reactions to him. Dog now sits on wife's lap when he wants to rest and she has no problems. We keep his hair cut short and he has been part of the family for 6 years now. No shedding and a great companion. We love our Toby.