Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OK the boss wants me to do ribs too... Cooking for 35 people.

Options
Thanks everyone who just helped me out with my last question about my first time cooking for a large group of people. My boss decided he wants ribs at the party too. I'm already going to have a lot of pulled pork. Cooking for 35 people the main focus is the pulled pork sandwiches. In addition I will have ribs for anyone that wants them gonna have maybe 2-4 ribs for a little side as well with their pulled pork. So i'm thinking about doing about 9 or 10 racks. What I need help with is how you would prepare them to be done in time for lunch? I've always cooked ribs and eaten them within 10 min of them coming off the egg or out of the oven (pre egg). I will have one empty large egg that I can cook on but think that I can only fit 4-6 racks with the green egg rib rack to stand them up inside the Large egg. Honestly I'm considering doing all the ribs in the oven to makes things easier but i don't know how many will all fit on a standard 2 rack oven.  I don't think i can fit 10 racks in the oven so maybe ill do some in the egg and the rest in the oven. Or would it be better to start 4 to 6 racks in the egg for the smoke flavor and then finish in the oven? this method would take longer because I'd have to wait to do the smoke on the first round. My biggest questions is how to preserve the ribs while i'm cooking others ribs if I have to or while I have to drive into work and make sure they are ready before lunch? I really need to finish cooking in the morning and then bring them to work about an hour or two before the lunch party. Can you do FTC for ribs? will this make them taste less good? I'm sure bbq joints do something like this all the time because obviously they finish most their cooks in the morning ready for lunch. Should I not sauce until right before they are going to be eaten? 

Lately I've been doing the turbo ribs method and it works great. Remember ribs isn't the main focus the pulled pork is the main thing here and I've now got that figured out and I'm dialed in on that. Any other methods or suggestions for ribs even if they are just in the oven? 

I know my questions are fairly vague and kind of scattered . So to recap on the above would be. 

1. How many ribs fit on a large egg with only the green egg brand rib v rack?
2. Have you ever done ribs in the kitchen oven? How many can you fit? Should I do a combination of on the egg and then in the oven? Egg first for smoke then moved to the oven? 
3. How can I keep ribs hot and the best tasting after cooking? I'd like to finish them in the morning at about 8:00 am or 9:00 am and eat them at noon. btw I don't have an oven at work. 

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks, 

Scott 

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I am not qualified to answer here, but someone will be along soon to offer some advice I am sure. 

I don't envy you. That is a lot of people to cook for. Cooking for the boss would make me nervous. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    That is a huge amount of ribs! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • TnJed
    TnJed Posts: 118
    Options
    You could always load up the egg, and put the remainders in the oven.

Good taste test opportunity.
    “All normal people love meat … You don’t win friends with salad.” - Homer Simpson
    http://griffinmotors.blogspot.com/
    https://instagram.com/griffin_motors/ 
  • BigGreenGator
    BigGreenGator Posts: 346
    Options
    I just fed 29 people at my house for a office party I  did 4 - 5lb butts 4 racks of ribs and 80 wings ... We had left overs and everybody ate really well ... Just my humble opinion but you might want to scale back on the food unless you want peeps taking a lot home ... We did have macaroni / potato salad / green beans / cole slaw / baked beans as well so that help with filler for what it's worth ... :) 

Large Big Green Egg / Ceramic Grill 2 Tier grate / Maverick ET-733 / homemade egg station / Amelia Island Fl. "Go Gators"

• BigGreenGator
    BigGreenGator Posts: 346
    Options
    As far as the cook I did the pulled pork guessed on the time and with the advise of the egging community here I put them in a cooler until ready to pull .... I cooked the ribs do they would be done right as it was time to eat and I Cooked the wings while everyone was watching cause they like to watch the egg work :) 

Large Big Green Egg / Ceramic Grill 2 Tier grate / Maverick ET-733 / homemade egg station / Amelia Island Fl. "Go Gators"