Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Butt - need a little encouragement...

Options
GuitarEC
GuitarEC Posts: 122
Okay,

So this weekend I'm going to smoke my first Boston Butt in the BGE, I've looked around the forums and online, and here's about the way I figure I'm gonna do it.  Any thoughts or advice I can get to either correct a mistake before hand, or words of encouragement are openly welcomed.

Pork Butt - Score the fat cap, start with light coat of French's Yellow mustard and then liberally apply the rub.  Cover and 'fridge overnight.

Egg - Soak chips for at least an hour before hand, fill to fire ring, large lump at the bottom scatter chips throughout.  Use large drip pan with water & apple cider vinegar in 50/50 mix over the platesetter.  Will be using CyberQ for temperature management - set fire at 225 to 250 (TBD).

Cook - Cook fat cap up uncovered until internal temp gets to 170 and/or adequate bark color - then wrap in foil for the remainder of the cook.  Pull when Internal Temp is about 195, and let it rest for 1/2 hour.

Will be lighting the fire about 7am, anticipating it will be ready by dinner time (5pm to 6pm). That sound about right?

Thanks from the butt-newb,

Eric "GuitarEC"
Metro Atl.

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I agree with Matt for the most part.  The only thing I would say is that I have not noticed a difference when using any kind of binder for the rub.  I just apply the rub and go.  Second, I tend to put the fat cap down.  The only reason I say this is if it sticks to the grate you won't lose any of your good bark.  Other than that Matt was spot on.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    +1 on Matt's posting.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Options

I agree with all of what @tarheelmatt said. However, I tend to be in the Turbo Butt camp.  I did one just yesterday.  Put it on at 9:30 yesterday morning, indirect, dome temp was about 350. Fat side down, so if anything sticks to the grill, it's just the fat. I took it off at 3:30, the internal temp was about 205 and it probed very easily...no resistance. Wrapped in foil and in the oven set to 170 for an hour or so until time to pull it for dinner.  This was possibly the best butt I've done. 

Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    I agree with what Matt has posted here, I wouldn't score the fat cap or trim it up too much.  As for the mustard that's personal preference, I used to do it but the pork butts are pretty tacky without it so the rub sticks pretty well.  One thing I've been doing recently on pork butts is seasoning with salt and pepper and then applying my rub.  I usually use Dizzy Pig's Dizzy Dust coarse grind on pork butts and I cook them fat side up.

I also agree 100% with using the wood chunks over the chips and not soaking them.  Think about how a piece of wood smells when it's wet and burned, usually pretty terrible and that's what you're meat is sitting in and absorbing as flavor.  Just get some chunks mix them in with your lump light and get up to 250-275 and enjoy the day.  I usually just use the wood chunks from Home Depot, I tend to like Apple Wood and call it a day.  I also don't wrap anymore unless I need to be done at a certain time and it's looking like it needs some help.  

Pork butts are intimidating the first few cooks but once you get the Egg up to temp and it on there's not much left to do but drink and enjoy the day/smells of the smoker for the next 8-12 hours.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    What Matt said. Even if he is from western NC, he still knows a thing or two about Q. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    +1 On what Matt said. Only thing different for me is just salt and pepper. And pull it out of the fridge for about an hour before you put it on the egg. Cook for tenderness, like butter, not IT.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I agree with Matt.

I go fat cap down, because I don't want to leave good meat stuck to the grate. 

I don't score. Don't use chips. You will be a lot happier with your butt if you use chunks. When I first started egging I used chips, but chunks are the way to go. I am also in the dump it and light it camp. 

No liquid in the pan. Just make little balls out of aluminum foil and put your drip pan on it. This will keep the drippings in the pan from burning. 

I also have started prepping mine the night before. I think I get a superior product this way.

I never wrap. I don't see any need to. I usually cook mine to around 200, but for some reason 203 seems to be the perfect temp. 

I put some on a big bun with blues hog sauce and enjoy!!!!!! 

Now you have me wanting to cook a butt. 

Remember we want to see pics!  

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    I use a honey mustard instead of regular mustard to aide in the sweetness of the bark.  I stay away from high salt rubs and lean to the sweeter side rubs. 

250 minimum to 300 for my cooking temps.  It'll be fine.

No foil unless I'm in a time pinch.

Not a drip-pan user either.  I'll put a little foil on the PS to catch the big stuff, but unless you have an air-gap under the drip pan, you will eventually evaporate all the liquid out and start cooking the drippings in the pan.

Wood chunks mixed into my lump.  I do start with a clean firebox and build my lump from the bottom up, placing about 80% of the lump by hand to I can place the chunks in the mix and try to optimize airflow as much as possible.  I place the lump to keep from having to breathe in the coal dust, too.

Sometimes I do score the meat to give a little more smoke penetration for flavor. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I agree with most of what has been said above.  I've used both chips and chunks, and I can't really tell a difference if you're using the same volume. 

One thing I will mention is that I usually do my butts in a v-rack in a disposable roasting pan.  That makes it extremely easy to take the cooked meat off the egg without it falling apart and with less bars on the rack touching the meat, you lose less bark. 

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    I agree with everyone else.  It is a pork butt, you are over thinking it.  They are simple.

Make sure you cook it long enough is about the only thing to look out for.  around 200 degrees it will be done (each butt is a little different.)  Make sure the bones slides out easy and the meat probes like warm butter.

No need to score the fat, use mustard, soak wood chips, or let it rest.

Pork Butts are my overall favorite meat to cook when you factor in taste, price, and how easy they are.
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • GuitarEC
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the tips - fire on the 250 to 275 range.  RE: Amount of lump, I'm using a PSWoo2 rack, so my platesetter is raised a bit higher than stock.  I have apple wood chunks, so I'll use those.  I've also got a v-rack somewhere - I may go that route as far as cooking it on that instead of directly on the grate.

Pictures will follow when I do the cook on Sunday.  Thanks everyone.

Eric "GuitarEC"
    Metro Atl.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    I'm in @tarheelmatt camp, but with no controller, I go 270 as I find it easier to control. 

Also, if you light at 7am, no way you're eating at 5-6. I figure an hour to be stable temp and 1.25-1.5 hr/lb cook time. It's better to be early than late as pork will hold in FTC for hours. 

Also, as long as you can fit the platesetter in, you can't over fill with lump. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,811
    Options
    at those temps you need to get it on at 4 am.  i light it at night, go to bed, take butt out of fridge and plunk it on the grate and either go fishing or back to bed. around noon check on it and make a temp adjustment up or down for the time frame. no foil unless its done and going in a cooler, i try not to use the cooler trip with butts
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,631
    Options
    I light the fire maybe two hours before going to bed.  Put the butt on an hour after lighting when temp is pretty stable, then check just before going to bed.  I usually wake up first light and go check it, adjust, then go back to bed if I can.  I've woken up with it struggling to hold temp, I've woken up with it too hot.  Either way, a couple of adjustments and I'm back in the game quickly.  I've FTC'd for hours whole, then pulled, back in covered foil pan in cooler and held for another several hours and had it still be very hot.  You can put whatever you want on it, I'm not convinced you can tell a difference after 12-18 hours.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    @GuitarEC   If you want to get the butt done in time, you will need to raise the cooking temp a bit.  Your plan: "Will be lighting the fire about 7am, anticipating it will be ready by dinner time (5pm to 6pm). That sound about right?" will not work at 250º. If you light at 7 and get the butt on by 8, you should be able to eat dinner on time if you cook at around 290º (assuming the butt is ~8lb.).
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    @GuitarEC   For future reference, here are some timing notes for pork butt. I pulled these from comments made on this forum.  

BGE - Pork butt timing notes
    225: Plan for 2 hours a pound at 225
    250: Cook time (average): >1.5 hrs/lb @ 250.250: You're looking at about 1.5 hours per # if your roll 250. 250: At 250 dome my experience is around 2 hours per pound. 250: Plan for 1.5 hours a pound at 250.
    275: Bump the temp up to 275. about an hour to 90 minutes per pound to cook and they come out great.275: Cook it at 275 ish, should take hr/lb maybe a little less. maybe a hair bit more.
    290: Cook time (average): 1 hr/lb @ 290.350: If you go 350 straight thru you can count on about 45 mins lb. YMMV 350: I go 350 until done, never foiling. It takes about an hour per pound. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    GuitarEC said:
    Okay,

So this weekend I'm going to smoke my first Boston Butt in the BGE, I've looked around the forums and online, and here's about the way I figure I'm gonna do it.  Any thoughts or advice I can get to either correct a mistake before hand, or words of encouragement are openly welcomed.

Pork Butt - Score the fat cap, start with light coat of French's Yellow mustard and then liberally apply the rub.  Cover and 'fridge overnight.

Egg - Soak chips for at least an hour before hand, fill to fire ring, large lump at the bottom scatter chips throughout.  Use large drip pan with water & apple cider vinegar in 50/50 mix over the platesetter.  Will be using CyberQ for temperature management - set fire at 225 to 250 (TBD).

Cook - Cook fat cap up uncovered until internal temp gets to 170 and/or adequate bark color - then wrap in foil for the remainder of the cook.  Pull when Internal Temp is about 195, and let it rest for 1/2 hour.

Will be lighting the fire about 7am, anticipating it will be ready by dinner time (5pm to 6pm). That sound about right?

Thanks from the butt-newb,

Eric "GuitarEC"
    Metro Atl.
    Way too complicated!!!

Keep things simple. 

EVOO then rub of choice

Fill egg with charcoal and wood of choice. Large at top or bottom. Doesn't really matter as I've never ever ran out of charcoal on an overnight cook. 16+ hours. 

No drip pan needed. Use foil under butt if needed

No need to foil. Just let it ride. 

Like I said, keep it simple!! No need to overthink and complicate things. 

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    The only thing I can add is with wood selection, I've been using a combination of apple cherry and pecan, and everyone seems to like it. once you get started don't hesitate to post questions.  Butts are fairly simple and forgiving look forward to the photos of the cook.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Savagebrood
    Savagebrood Posts: 10
    Options
    275 seems to be my ideal smoking temp. It is only 25 hotter than the popular 250, but that 25 degrees shaves hours off the total cook time. I find that FTCing makes a huge difference if pulling. I know there are those that feel differently, but to each his own.
  • gvest
    gvest Posts: 1
    Options

I like to pull mine off the BGG in the morning after an overnight session and wrap them in foil and place in a cooler until I'm ready to shred later in day.  They are super moist and warm when I shred, not to mention I shake in a little Dizzy Pig rub.  I also tend to do as many butts as possible with multi racks and then freeze the ones I don't shred.  My buddy taught me this trick and how to bring them back up to proper temperature when you want to eat - you can't tell the difference!  Just go for it and play around, best thing is you can always try again and again!  Yum!

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    edited May 2015
    Options
    If you want shorter cooking time cut it in half plus you'll get more bark.  I've done this several times, on at 7 and done by 4 at around 260-270 and came out great.  Totally agree with everybody, pork butts are the most forgiving cook.  Try Memphis Dust rub from amazingribs.com easy homemade and really tasty.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/meatheads_memphis_dust.html

amazingribs is a great reference site for Q'ing

Oops, guess I should have looked more closely at the dates, but anyway try it next time.

@GuitarEC, what happened to the pics.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I agree with pretty much of everything already said.  As for soaking the wood, that seems to just make it smoke more and the water doesn't really penetrate the wood in a few hours or days.  

I to like to smoke PB's at 250 to 275.  At 195 check the bone to see if has palled away and wiggles.  Then probe with temp gauge and it probes like butter its done.  Temp is only a guide to tell you when it is close.  Sometimes it takes to 205 to get there.

I too like fat side down so when you remove it and it sticks, its the fat cap not good meat.  If you want a little different flavor you can inject before putting on the rub or marinade in apple cider and your choice of rub over night then apply your rub.  Get the cheapest mustard you can find.  You won't taste it unless you let it sit on it for a long period of time.  I have done it the night before and didn't notice a difference.

If you are only giving yourself 10 to 11 hours I would start at 275 and when it gets to 160 crank up the heat to 300 to 350 to get it done.  You can warp if you like at this point, but I don't.  

Here are 2 pork butts I started at 275 tell about 165 to 170 then cranked it up to 390 to get done.  If you go 225 you may not be done in time for dinner at 6.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • IPASooner
    IPASooner Posts: 208
    Options
    Lots of really great info on here...I am doing my first butt on the BGE this weekend too. Thanks for sharing!
    LBGE

Marblehead, MA
  • GuitarEC
    Options
    @logchief - See this tread for pictures and progress of my first butt

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1180532/boston-butt-take-1#latest

Since then I have smoked 6 more (2 at a time) and all have been to rave reviews.

Looks like I'm starting to get the hang of this.

Eric "GuitarEC"
    Metro Atlanta Area