Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Egg

Options
Have been smoking and grilling on an Akorn for the last 2 years.  With our tax money, the wife insisted that I get a Big Green Egg.  Then she insisted that I get the XL egg.  Can't wait to try it out hopefully this weekend to check out the vent settings on a dry run before trying to cook anything for the family.

Comments

• LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    Options
    Welcome from another newbie!  You made a wise decision!
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    You have a very smart wife. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • nlovold
    nlovold Posts: 194
    Options

Congrats!  Welcome to the lifestyle!

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Welcome. Congrats on the BGE. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Welcome. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Welcome.  Look forward to your cooking. You should have a leg up coming from a similar cooking vessel. Enjoy.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    Welcome. Send some pictures!
    McKinney, TX
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,544
    Options
    Welcome. ... keep the wife too
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    Options
    Welcome.
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    Welcome and I notice you said "first" egg. Any plans yet for a second?

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,210
    Options
    Congrats!  Welcome to the club.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Welcome to the forum, @Mvaranko.  

Congrats on the new egg, and on a pretty cool wife.
    Phoenix 
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Welcome, just curious as I have an Akorn I'm trying to sell at work, did you like cooking on it as opposed to other grills that you have had experience with?
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,536
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Very perceptive thread title, "First Egg".  And SWMBO is very wise.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Welcome to the playhouse.  Enjoy. 

Oh yes, you'll be amazed at how small the vent opens are for normal cooks.  Take a look at the pictures in this thread: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/746823/vent-settings-a-visual-guide/p1  Taking the temp up on an egg is easy, bring it back down takes a long time.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Mvaranko said:
    Have been smoking and grilling on an Akorn for the last 2 years.  With our tax money, the wife insisted that I get a Big Green Egg.  Then she insisted that I get the XL egg.  Can't wait to try it out hopefully this weekend to check out the vent settings on a dry run before trying to cook anything for the family.
    She sounds like a keeper to me.  Congrats and welcome.  

Another key to temp controls is the size of your initial fire.  For low n slow it is important to light only a small section.  Makes it much easier to control.  Over time you will learn your Egg and quickly be able to set you vents to achieve your desired target temp with minor adjustments.  In addition, you will discover when it is best to just pull off DFMT and simply control your temp with the bottom vent.  For me, this is at 400 and higher.  You may find a different temp value for you.  Anyway, keep researching here and asking questions.  We will gladly provide input.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Mvaranko said:
    Welcome to the Eggdiction and welcome fellow XL owner.  How has the Akorn been to cook on?  I take it you are getting the XL, because Akorn doesn't make one that big?  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,737
    Options
    Welcome!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    You have arrived....

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• Dixiejack
    Dixiejack Posts: 3
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hello to all you EggHeads (especially in South Indiana),

I bought my first BGE (large) in 1985 and a moving company broke it in 1999. At the time I was strapped for cash and took a cash settlement rather than replace it (MISTAKE). Never a week went by that I didn't grill or smoke on it.
    I just bought my second one and downsized to a medium BGE this time. I could not believe the upgrades that had been made since my first BGE.
    Got it set up yesterday and I'm going to crank it up in the AM.  I am smoking a boston butt with some sausage links on the sides to get me thru the day.  
    So to all, it's a beautiful weekend in South Indiana and a great weekend for cooking on your BGE.