Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pulled pork for 80

Options
timmyd18
timmyd18 Posts: 59
First post after almost 5 months of egging. 

I've had success with pulled pork to feed large family gatherings, and now word has spread - I've been asked if I can do pulled pork for a church gathering next month, expecting around 80 for lunch. 

Before I say yes, any tips or warnings? I'm thinking will need to do six shoulders,  split into 2 batches on my large bge. 

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    What gear do you have for the large? Any friends with eggs close by? Mainly adults or kids?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • timmyd18
    Options
    It will be almost all adults. I only have the placesetter for the large at this point,  but view this as an opportunity to pick up any toys that would be useful. 

This may be the cook that drags the vertical propane smokehouse out of the shed it's been living in since the egg showed up, but I'd like to take care of it on the egg if possible. 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    timmyd18 said:

I've had success with pulled pork to feed large family gatherings, and now word has spread - I've been asked if I can do pulled pork for a church gathering next month, expecting around 80 for lunch. 

Before I say yes, any tips or warnings? I'm thinking will need to do six shoulders,  split into 2 batches on my large bge. 
    You will likely need two rounds or another cooking vessel.  

When you say six shoulders, what do you mean exactly?  Whole shoulders, or the butt?  

What other items will be there?  Is the Q the only protein?  How many kids? Big eaters? 

You're going to need roughly 50-60lbs of meat is my estimate.   

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    I'd say you'll probably want to FINISH with 60#, so you'll probably start with closer to 90#. This would be a lot easier with an AR so you could drop the stone and cook at the grid and up above. I'm still not sure you could do it in one go with a large, but an Xl could eat it up.

Any way you slice it, this is a BIG cook! I hope you enjoy it and I hope it turns out great.

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    timmyd18 said:

You will likely need two rounds or another cooking vessel.  

When you say six shoulders, what do you mean exactly?  Whole shoulders, or the butt?  

What other items will be there?  Is the Q the only protein?  How many kids? Big eaters? 

You're going to need roughly 50-60lbs of meat is my estimate.   

Note, my estimate is raw product.  

Estimating 5.6oz per person and 40% reduction/shrinkage.  90 lbs would be way too much. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • AHawk
    AHawk Posts: 8
    Options
    I've cooked for about 40 and mixed adults and children.  I cooked 3 butts with lots of sides... Cooked in Egg for about 7 hours to get good smoke rings..then transferred to Oven wrapped in a foil pan on big rack and pan full of apple juice then covered with foil.  All said about 22 hours of smoking and cooking. 
    I had a little left over but not a lot.  Get some help... and I'm thinking you'll need 2 eggs and 6 7 lbs butts.  Good Luck and have fun!

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    I'd say 60# for 80 people is a little on the scant side of things.
    60# X .6# finished/starting = 36#. If you really have 80 people that came to eat BBQ someone is going away unsatisfied. That said, if there are going to be lots of sides, desserts, etc, and you have a population of adults that is not skewed towards big hearty eaters ((read as: men) you might get away with it. Personally I'd err on the side of leftovers, which is why I'd consider cooking more.

6 x 7# is only 42#, which is only going to yield about 25-26#, meaning you're going to have some ticked off church folk on your hands...

Whatever you end up doing, have fun with it. I do like the idea of using the egg + oven methid if space is an issue. Remember, meat is going to suck up all the smoke flavor it'll take in about 90-120 minutes, and after that you mostly need heat (and one could argue moisture).

Cheers all -
    B_B

Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    I'd say 60# for 80 people is a little on the scant side of things.
    60# X .6# finished/starting = 36#. If you really have 80 people that came to eat BBQ someone is going away unsatisfied. That said, if there are going to be lots of sides, desserts, etc, and you have a population of adults that is not skewed towards big hearty eaters ((read as: men) you might get away with it. Personally I'd err on the side of leftovers, which is why I'd consider cooking more.

6 x 7# is only 42#, which is only going to yield about 25-26#, meaning you're going to have some ticked off church folk on your hands...

Whatever you end up doing, have fun with it. I do like the idea of using the egg + oven methid if space is an issue. Remember, meat is going to suck up all the smoke flavor it'll take in about 90-120 minutes, and after that you mostly need heat (and one could argue moisture).

Cheers all -
    B_B

OP likely isn't that worried about it as he hasn't interacted since posting.  

Guess if he wants massive amounts of leftovers, go right ahead with 90 lbs.  That is a lot of meat!  People eat less that what one would think.  My calculation is based off 5.6oz per person.  Even increasing to 8oz per person doesn't come to 90lbs.  

At the most, you'll get 4 butts on a large with extender.  

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options

For me 40lbs would do as you will have other foods- 4 butts- when you would normally foil, foil as usual , put those 2 in the oven to finish, they have plenty of smoke, put the other 2 on the egg and finish- will work with no hassel

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • timmyd18
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm looking at getting the costco boneless shoulders (they come 2 in a pack), and hopefully will have less loss going the boneless route.  Also close to pulling the trigger on an AR with an extender - in hope of getting 4 on the large at a time. In my head, that math works out to 8 shoulders (4 packs) in 2 turbo batches for one interesting night - around 80 pounds, but I have not been back to costco in a while to check the weights. 

Sides are whatever I get - potato salad,  salad,  and baked beans should skew cheap and filling. 

Many of the eaters will be on the older side, so I'm assuming they may eat less. Either way, bbq should be a nice surprise - the last event was catered with subway. 
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Get a cheap grid for a weber kettle and some stainless steel bolts and nuts and washers.... and build a DIY raised grid that will give you 2 layers of cooking goodness.  Helped me when I had to cook for a Dave Ramsey FPU Class graduation for over 100 people a few months ago.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    One other easy way would be start 2 on the egg 2 in the oven at the same time rotate @ the halfway, you'd be missing it anyway
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • jstang
    Options
    DaveRichardson, that's a pretty sweet setup. Do the bottom washers on the posts just sit on the BGE grid?