Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature control cap??

Options
Does anyone know of a cap the automaticly controls the temp?  Something using bimetals.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Couple of guys have this or similar. I haven't really paid much attention as I have a DigiQ, but here's some reading for you...

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1721660#Comment_1721660

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Couple of guys have this or similar. I haven't really paid much attention as I have a DigiQ, but here's some reading for you...

I have a digi-Q but i am seriously considering the tip top temp unit for my next egg.  I like it's simplicity and lack of electrical requirements.  I have confidence that with a little bit of practice, I will be able to set my lower opening and dial the TTT and be confident my temp will be stable and right where I want it.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Zmokin said:

I have a digi-Q but i am seriously considering the tip top temp unit for my next egg.  I like it's simplicity and lack of electrical requirements.  I have confidence that with a little bit of practice, I will be able to set my lower opening and dial the TTT and be confident my temp will be stable and right where I want it.

I would be interested to hear how it works out for you.  From what I've been able to read, Weber and Keg owners seem to like it, but I am unable to find enthusiastic endorsement from ceramic owners.

Please share, once you reach conclusions of your own.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Zmokin
    Options
    Zmokin said:

I would be interested to hear how it works out for you.  From what I've been able to read, Weber and Keg owners seem to like it, but I am unable to find enthusiastic endorsement from ceramic owners.

Please share.

don't hold your breath, it may be 3 to 4 months before I can report on results.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I still haven't had a chance to use mine yet...

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Wowens
    Wowens Posts: 115
    Options
    Well, I'll give it a glowing endorsement. I just got one Thursday, and used it last night to cook some butts on my XL.  It was awesome!  I got it dialed in to 250, and it stayed between 250-256 all night. I never had to touch it from 10pm until I took the butts off this morning at 7:30am. 

It it is the best $30 I've spent. 

Also so had great service, I ordered it Tue, and sent them an email about shipping times, as I wanted to use it Friday night. I got an email back from them in less than 5 min.  They told me they would get it to me by Thur so I'd have time for a dry run. 

It it does just sit on top so you have to take it off if you open the egg. I may try to make an adapter or something to hold it in place.  But last night I never opened the egg after I put the butts on, until it was time to take them off this morning. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Yes there's a forum member that designed and is producing a controller that uses a servo to manipulate airflow from the top vent with no draft blower necessary. And it'll communicate via Wi-Fi and I'm not positive but maybe outside of Wi-Fi with IP address. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Zmokin
    Options
    Wowens said:
    It it does just sit on top so you have to take it off if you open the egg. I may try to make an adapter or something to hold it in place.  But last night I never opened the egg after I put the butts on, until it was time to take them off this morning. 
    Would you please be so kind as to take a picture of it sitting on your egg?

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Anyone know if the Tip Top thing will work on a mini? I think one of the DigiQ fan adapters will fit, but curious about the fanless one.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Sardonicus
    Options
    Wowens said:
    Well, I'll give it a glowing endorsement. I just got one Thursday, and used it last night to cook some butts on my XL.  It was awesome!  I got it dialed in to 250, and it stayed between 250-256 all night. I never had to touch it from 10pm until I took the butts off this morning at 7:30am. 

It it is the best $30 I've spent. 

Also so had great service, I ordered it Tue, and sent them an email about shipping times, as I wanted to use it Friday night. I got an email back from them in less than 5 min.  They told me they would get it to me by Thur so I'd have time for a dry run. 

That's good to know, @Wowens , thanks for your thoughts.  I may just give it a shot.  After all, 30 bucks + shipping ain't exactly life-changing money.

Of course, a pic as @Zmokin requested might just seal (or nix) the deal.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• NCEggSmoker
    NCEggSmoker Posts: 336
    Options
    I've never seen this. Very cool.  I love elegant solutions like this. 
    Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.
  • Sardonicus
    Options

Also, @Wowens . . .

How did you set/adjust the bottom vent? 

I ask because it seems that the manufacturer recommends that all other vents be closed.

Thanks again.

• Wowens
    Options
    Here's a pic.  It basically just sits there. It is almost exactly the diameter of an XL chimney. 

It was $30, no shipping charges. 

I had the bottom vent opened maybe 3/8 to 1/2 inch.  I think those instructions were written with a Weber Kettle in mind. I'm assuming the egg is sealed much better. 
  • Sardonicus
    Options
    Thank you, @Wowens !!!

• Wowens
    Options
    That pic is while it is coming up to temp.  When it is holding at 250-260, the flap is closed down to just a slit. 
  • Zmokin
    Options
    Wowens said:

It's hard to see in your image asis, but I photoshoped it and adjusted the brightness and contrast until I could see better detail.  It looks like the diameter of the egg chimney is just about the same size as the outside diameter of the rubberband on the unit.  In your opinion, would a second rubber band 1/2 on the egg and 1/2 overlapping the existing rubber band on the TTT be sufficient to hold the TTT in place if you were to open the egg with it on?

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @zmokin - why not make a sleeve similar to the smoke ware cap ?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Thanks to "bettysnephew" he already told us that his unit slips inside the neck piece of a SmokeWare just fine (with the SmokeWare cap off obviously) and that keeps this $30 gizmo from falling off!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Zmokin
    Options
    Simplest answer, I know I can buy one of those rubberbands on Amazon.  I guess I like the idea of something simple like a rubberband to hold it in place.

Although, I might have some leftover aluminum flashing I could use to fashion something cheap with.  Get it sized up right and then use some aluminum foil tape to hold it's shape.

• Wowens
    Options
    I think the rubber band would need to be about an inch wide to get a grip in the chimney. 

A amokeware sleeve, would work according to the other post.  I'm gonna check at Lowes to see if I can find some ductwork that might fit. It works fine with without anything, you just can't open the egg without moving it first.  I'm worried I'll open and dump it on the deck. 
  • Sardonicus
    edited April 2015
    Options

I emailed the manufacturer last night and asked if they would recommend their product for the LGBE.

I was very pleased that I received the answer within minutes.

The response was:

"Dont take our word for it, please check the facebook timeline from William. He liked the TTT. Any questions please contact me. Bruce"

Well, since I don't do FaceBook, I don't speak FaceBookese.  Nor do I know who the heck "William" is or how to access his "Timeline".

That Bruce wouldn't directly answer my question tells me enough, though.

Ah, well.

• Wowens
    Options
    Well, William would be me  :). I posted a comment over there to let them know that I was pleased with it. 
  • Sardonicus
    Options
    Wowens said:
    Well, William would be me  :). I posted a comment over there to let them know that I was pleased with it. 

Oh.

Strange that he would assume I knew that.

Thanks again, William.

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    I am one of the early adopters. My particular deck is very susceptable to gusts of the prairie winds over the top and around the side of my house and stable temperature control has been a problem since I got my first Egg.  I know many can operate without a daisy wheel successfully but not at my home. I do have a Flame Boss and it works quite well but unless I am doing a very long low and slow do not like to get it set up and running. The TTTC works very well for what I wanted it to do and I can see the flap adjusting when the winds come over or around the house. It's not perfect but holds far closer than I have been able to maintain with manual control via draft window and daisy wheel. No creep up as the fire expands and not too much overshoot when the breezes are twisting around. It does not replace the accuracy of an electronic controller and likely will work poorly if rain hits the bimetal spring during a cook but for the money it works well enough.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa