Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two camps on ribs and both make a great case!

Options
This Sunday I am going to attempt baby backs for my first time and I have been reading and reading and watching videos and it seems there are two main ways to go. Foil or no foil. I see methods like 3-2-1, 2-2-1, etc. and recent threads here saying no foil, spraying or flipping and the ribs come out looking amazing.  My wife and I are fall-off-the-bone types and she is leaning towards using the foil thinking it will trap or preserve what moisture there is in the meat? Does she have a point?
--
Jeff
Near Twin Cities, MN
Large BGE

Comments

• ChillyWillis
    Options
    Yes she does. If you're looking for "fall of the bone" ribs then foil. If you're looking for just a bit of tug when you bite into the rib then no foil is the way to go. 

Personally I used to use foil, however after trying no foil a few times I decided I preferred that and have never looked back. 
  • BamaEGG
    BamaEGG Posts: 170
    Options
    You can get fall off the bone without foiling. Just cook them till you get the tenderness you want. I have never liked the texture of them after foil personally but foil in and of itself isn't the secret to fall off the bone ie overcooked ribs.
  • MN-Egger
    MN-Egger Posts: 133
    Options
    Well we made the ribs and used the 3-2-1 as a guide but cut it a tad short as the ribs were getting done. We feel the ribs were the best we have EVER eaten. The smoke (used cherry chunks) flavor is amazing! Grill behaved well and if I average out the cook time, I would say the temp was 232°. Only had one instance when we opened egg, foiled ribs and returned to grill. Grill was closed during wrapping but it jumped up to 260° and just didn't want to come down from there so adjusted vents and got back to the 230° mark. I expected it to rise from being opened and maybe I am just impatient and shudda waited longer. 
    Here are the ribs, yellow mustard and rub...

Here are the ribs after 3 hours no look, no touch...
    Ribs done and gonna sit...

And the final time to eat pic...

A slight tug was needed to bite the meat from the bone. The meat was also moist and succulent. I cannot say how much we believe we actually ate real BBQ!  For our first try at baby backs, not sure what we would change. 
    --
    Jeff
    Near Twin Cities, MN
    Large BGE
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Nice cook Jeff! 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    They look yummy!  Good job!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Looks like you really nailed it!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I'm in the no mess around camp. Rub, cook raised laying flat over drip pan. Dome around 275F. Check on things once around 4 hours for BBs, 4.5 for spares. If they happen to look dry, brush with neutral oil or melted butter.

Wait till they pass the bend test.

Not at all hard to get ribs where the bones fall out of the meat.

Foiling tends to make the meat a little mushy, and tho' very tender, the bones are not as clean as just letting cook till done.