Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st rack of Lamb

Options
I've cooked lots of roasted legs, chops, and braised shanks but until last night never a rack. I slathered the rack in cold pressed garlic olive oil and made a rub of roasted garlic powder, Spanish smoked paprika, oregano, sea salt, and fresh ground pepper. I brought the Egg up to 375 with a two zone set up using a half stone and a spider under the main grate. I started the rack indirect and brought it up to 115. Then I let the Egg come up to 400-425 and did the hot potato flip over the coals until I got an IT of 130-135 and the crust and color I wanted. It came out great, very tasty, and extremely tender. Crispy lamb fat is almost as good as pork fat IMO. Here are some pics. 

Comments

• evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options
    Looks great, I just did a rack on Wednesday, used garlic, olive oil, rosemary and dijon mustard. Outstanding! That half stone is a neat set up, do you do that often?

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • keepervodeflame
    Options
    Evie, indirect over a stone with a reverse sear is my go to method for any thick cuts, like 2 inch steaks, thick chops, roasts, whole poultry. Kinda gives you the best of both methods. Nice even cooked meat with a great crust and color.