Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Slightly Disappointed (For a second)

Options
Jstroke
Jstroke Posts: 2,600
Well, I fried the felt gasket on the egg doing pizza, and no complaints. I knew it was coming. So I called BGE and let them know I had done so and there response was to go to my dealer and buy a new Nomex, as the gasket was a wear item.. I have to admit I was slightly disappointed at the response. I didn't mention the forum, or that other people had gotten a replacement for free. I fully realize that the gasket is a wear item. I am not a scrooge and I am in no way saying that there customer service has not been stellar, as they have replaced a base and a fire ring under warranty with no questions asked and zero fuss. My local dealer is excellent and I promptly went there and got 6 feet of nomex off his bulk roll for a sum total of 7.00 dollars. Then I signed up to cook at the eggfest, talked shop and ordered a smokeware cap. I also took some very long looks at the xxl on display for the second time. But I have to admit I was just slightly disappointed they didn't send me one. I am not a guy who demands or pitches a fuss. I don't expect free dessert if I send my steak back if it is overdone. My egg has been one of the greatest purchases I have ever made next to my wife's engagement ring, and I have met some absolutely fabulous people both here and in the real world around the egg. I am not here to bash the mothership or get into a discussion about gaskets. But I thought you should know that at least for me I was on my own. I WANT TO BE VERY CLEAR. THIS IS NOT A DEVASTATED THREAD.  
Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    You should get a Rutland from @RRP
  • Jstroke
    Options
    If I fry this one, he'll be the first one I call. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    So you just fried one side of the felt and not the other? If I were doing it - which I wouldn't anyway - I would have replaced both. Sooner rather than later the other side will fail as well and you'll have the hassle again. It dawned on me when you said you only paid $7 for 6 feet. Catch ya later up the road! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jstroke
    Options
    RRP, IT is for my medium. I am only doing one side. Let me be very clear my felt is 100% charcoal at this point.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Why do you need a gasket?  I have not had one on the Eggs for years.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Why do you need a gasket?  I have not had one on the Eggs for years.
    Doc, I'm not going to start an argument but let me explain the reason I personally need a gasket. Back 15 years ago I bought my first egg...a large. My gasket was toast very soon. After I blew through my first replacement I picked up the advice to check if my dome and base had level planes. They were wavy and of course didn't come close to matching up! I then found a flat spot on my garage floor so I could push, turn and rub the dome and base to determine the hills and valleys! Ended up the base was the worst and I carefully used a fine grit on my belt sander to knock down the hills. That worked for another gasket and by then it was 2002 and the Rutland solution surfaced. It's been no issue for me since with my large and small. Just to prove I'm no hater - both my medium and mini still have the original BGE gaskets! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    OP, how old is your egg? The gasket is warrantied for 1 year.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I cannot for the life of me figure out how peeps are frying their gaskets.  I do pizzas sometimes a couple times a month at ~650-700 (XL pls legs up, grate+fire bricks with ps on top so the pizza stone is 3-4 inches above the gasket line - usually with a full firebox and wide open vents and no dfmt or smokeware cap).  And I do a clean burn a couple times a year depending on buildup.  My first gasket lasted almost 5 years and installed a replacement felt gasket last year. 
  • Jstroke
    Options
    Past warranty but thanks for the thought.
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    edited April 2015
    Options
    When I messed up my gasket in about 3 months time after I bought my BGE, I called the BGE gjys and they told me to take a picture and send it in via email. I then called the dealer who I has bought the BGE from and he came to my house and replaced it free of charge. I vowed that day that I am only buying anything BGE related from him. I then ordered a Rutland from @RRP and that is still in the box and will be used when my current gasket goes bad.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL