Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Spring Cleaning?

Options
I've had some things going on that have prevented me from using my 2 BGEs for a year or more, and now I'm able to do so again, but they were moldy inside.  So I did a 600 degree burn in the Large to clean it, but the Medium wouldn't go over 400.  The next day, I cleaned them both out, and decided I'd be thorough and I took out the firebox and fire ring, and WOW!!!  No wonder my Medium wouldn't go over 400 degrees: there was a HUGE amount of ash between the firebox and the wall of the egg, so there was much less air circulation coming in to feed the fire.  I have no doubt I'll easily get the temp to 600 next time to complete the cleaning process.  I'd done that once before, but it was years ago, and I just hadn't been thinking about it.

So just in case any of you are like me, and haven't done a thorough cleaning in a long time, maybe learn from my mistake, and once in a while, take out the ceramic inserts from the Egg and get all of the ash and cinders out of it.  I wish I'd taken some pictures, but when it occurred to me, I'd already cleaned most of it out, and my hands were filthy.  I think I'll try to make this a "Spring cleaning" thing every year from now on.

Theo

Comments

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder! When we moved last November I had to take the innards of my large egg out and was surprised how much ash had collected! At that time I had owned my egg for about a year and never once took everything out to do a thorough cleaning. Now, I do them once every month or two! 
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    If you have to clean them every month, I bet you manage to cook on them a lot more frequently than I do, but maybe I'd better check even sooner than every Spring.  Maybe I'll check again toward the end of the Summer.  Thanks!

Theo
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,568
    Options
    While you're at it, remember to check/tighten your nuts!
    canuckland
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    Options
    Also check the calibration on the thermo

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.