Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm bored and heading to the store to pick up my first brisket

Options
Going to get a smaller one for this trial run, hopefully 7-8 lbs. Going to throw some kosher salt, pepper and garlic on it and throw it on around 250. Also cooking a butt I need to cook and am going to have some buddies over tomorrow for late lunch or early dinner. 

What temp should I pull tomorrow? About 190? Should I foil, towel and cooler or no? I only have apple and cherry chunks, will a mixture be alright? 
Nashville, TN and huge Tennessee Vols fan

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Check the flat on the brisket after 190.  Ignore temperature after 190 and pull when you can stab anywhere in the flat and have the resistance of butter. Take your time, turn up the temp when you want the whole process to accelerate.

It will stay warm for a couple hours easily just tented loosely with foil and maybe a towel on a wood cutting board.  You can FTC if much longer.   Sounds like you'll be fine.
    Options
    Always FTC
    McKinney, TX
  • BigGreenVOL
    Options
    Shoot they only had flats and biggest was 6.5 lbs. Hope this thing doesn't finish at 9 am
  • BigGreenVOL
    Options
    The brisket is at 180-185 depending on where you stick it. What's the play here if I plan on eating in 4 hours or so? How long does it need to rest?
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    You should be good for several hours if you FTC.  Make sure you preheat the cooler with hot water.  When the brisket comes to temp, wrap in foil and then wrap in several towels and place in cooler.

Make sure to dump the water from the cooler too.

Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    The brisket is at 180-185 depending on where you stick it. What's the play here if I plan on eating in 4 hours or so? How long does it need to rest?
    I would rather eat a good meal late than a bad one in time. Tell friends to grab a drink and it will be ready when it is ready. Let it ride to 195 then start probing. You want no resistance. Most importantly, cut against the grain. You can always bump up the temp to punch her home
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • BigGreenVOL
    Options
    What do you mean by when the brisket comes to temp...?
  • BigGreenVOL
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    I would rather eat a good meal late than a bad one in time. Tell friends to grab a drink and it will be ready when it is ready. Let it ride to 195 then start probing. You want no resistance. Most importantly, cut against the grain. You can always bump up the temp to punch her home
    I have no problem with that, I was afraid it would be done before. If you don't think so I'll just let it ride on the egg
  • RedSkip
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Comes to temp... Start probing when it's around 190.  Once there, probe the brisket and it should enter like "buttah".  Meaning zero resistance when inserting the probe.  (Thickest part of the flat)

Once around 190, most folks no longer cook to temp but rather feel.  Some briskets will finish at 190, others 205.... It's just a feel from that point on. (Feel = probes like butter)

Also, most folks FTc for at least an hour to let the meat rest.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • BigGreenVOL
    Options
    Ok great thank you. Hoping and thinking this is going to then out great on my first try
  • RedSkip
    Options
    Best of luck and remember to take some photos
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • BigGreenVOL
    Options
    This was about an hour ago.  The left side of the brisket in the pic(I rotated it and now it's directly on the center of the grate) is already at 205 but doesn't feel like butter.  The other side is 185ish to 190

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I take a towel and soak it and put in the microwave. Then I drape it over the foiled meteorite in the cooler. The steamy towel works real well. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • BigGreenVOL
    Options
    I think the rain burned up my digiQ. It only displays 3 blank lines when I try to get a pit temp reading. Anyone had anything like this happen. Maybe its just a probe?
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    probably your probe got wet.  The unit's guts are pretty water resistant.
    Options
    Are you using a thermapen? 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • BigGreenVOL
    Options
    henapple said:
    Are you using a thermapen? 
    Yep
  • BigGreenVOL
    Options

probably your probe got wet.  The unit's guts are pretty water resistant.
    I hope that's it
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,126
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Lmidkiff said:
    Always FTC
    I disagree with this statement.  I believe FTC can push a brisket to much.  Its not like a pork shoulder.

If it is jiggly I would either serve or let it cool a bit then FTC if you need it to keep for a while.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    FTC isn't something that's desirable, but something that can be necessary.  There are some that make it part of the cooking process and others that include it as part of a superstitious ritual like a baseball player wearing the same socks.
    Options
    Don't know where you are in the cook but you can easily FTC for four+ hours in a pre-warmed el cheapo cooler  then foil wrap and fill the void with warmed towels.  As mentioned, if the brisket is "loose" and probing like buttah then let it rest for around 15-20 mins before the FTC.  When ready to eat then slice against the grain and enjoy.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Ozzie_Isaac ...  I believe FTC can push a brisket to much.  Its not like a pork shoulder.

If it is jiggly I would either serve or let it cool a bit then FTC if you need it to keep for a while.
    I'm learning a ton about brisket cooks today!   Damn, it seems like last year you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a "FTC Everything!" thread, and now you and @nolaegghead are throwing down all this knowledge!   :)

Can you explain why you FTC a pork shoulder, but it sounds like with a brisket you only do it if you need to?  
    It sounds like if I know I'm going to want to keep a brisket for 4 hours, I should pull it at 195, FTC right away, and let it finish there?  198?  I mean, if i let it sit 20-30 minutes before foiling, won't i lose so much heat that it won't last 3-4 hours at a serving temperature?

Anyway, I just cooked one and when I took it off it was so jiggly I knew the whole thing would fall apart like butter.  I was slow about foiling, but I did eventually FTC because, like Nola said, i have been indoctrinated that all large cuts get the FTC or you ain't cookin'!  :rofl:

Good stuff, thanks for the tips.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I will let @cazzy or @nolaegghead answer about briskets.  I have limited experience (2).

I did one brisket that was perfectly jiggly and I FTC right away no cooling.  When I removed from the cooler it was no longer jiggly I sliced it, it was a bit dry and not as tender as I hoped.

A second brisket I left in on the counter no FTC for 30 minutes and sliced it.  It was still jiggly, tender and juicy.  Be careful the sliced pieces will dry out quick.  A brisket is a finicky mistress.

Now pork shoulders and butts I have a ton of experience.  I've gone bare the whole cook and served, I've FTC'd for 1 - 6 hours.  I've done turbos and low and slow.  I have never had FTC push a shoulder to be dry or crumbly.

My current method, through lots of trial and error, is to aim for 275-325.  The first temp my egg stabilizes at in that range I run with it.  I foil once the bark gets to the color I want.  I aim for a little crustier than you would think because it will soften in the foil.

Once it probes like butter or the bone wiggles out with little effort (I've had this happen at temps as low as 195 and as high as 205) I put it right in a cooler with towels.  The longer the better.  It seems to infuse the pork with more flavor the longer it rests.  The texture has never been much different, but the flavor is a lot better.

I proved that to myself once by preparing 2 butts identically (both from same Costco pack) and cooked on the egg.  I foiled when the bark was where I wanted.  One I pulled after 1hr of FTC the other I pulled after 5hrs.  The 5hr shoulder was better.

Also, when I foil I do not wrap it.  I put it in an aluminum pan (small one from Costco) and wrap the top.  I don't double or triple wrap, don't aim for super tight, just leave it in the foil pan and single layer of foil.  When I pull I pull it right in the same pan and mix the juices in.

The key with shoulders is not texture or pull (pretty hard to screw up), it is to get the meat all evenly and thoroughly flavored.

Sorry for the long response, what I was trying to say in a round-about way is my views on FTC are based on experience, I cannot explain the science behind it.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I proved that to myself once by preparing 2 butts identically (both from same Costco pack) and cooked on the egg.  I foiled when the bark was where I wanted.  One I pulled after 1hr of FTC the other I pulled after 5hrs.  The 5hr shoulder was better.
    There is NO WAY that is statistically significant when you take into account how much beer can be drank at a BBQ in the 4 hour interim.
    ;)  :rofl:

Just kidding...thanks for posting the details.  You say FTC but stress that it isn't super tight.  I'm guessing that pan does go in a cooler with some towels.  It all makes sense though.  An I agree, pork is much more forgiving!  Mmmmmm....pork.   #homer
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Yup pan wrapped in foil goes in the cooler.