Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Curious, how many Eggers used a WSM before Egg?

Options
AZRP
AZRP Posts: 10,116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I learned to BBQ in a homemade vertical 55 gal drum cooker. About four years ago I bought a WSM and thought I died and went to heaven. It would hold temps for hours and required little maintenance. Then I found this board and the enthusiasm for the Egg convinced me to get one. The rest is history, just curious how many other Eggers followed similar paths. -RP

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    AZRP,
    Not me. I used a Sunbeam or some other p.o.s. gas grill. How embarassing.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • MasterMason
    MasterMason Posts: 243
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Was it green? If so, I had a few of those too.[p]Got a 600 webber that has the sole purpose of being my torch holder and the thing I set my plate setter on when not in the egg......[p]Told my wife I promise I will get rid of it when I get the second egg.

• AZRP, that is the path I seem to find myself on. I have been smoking on a WSM (Weber Smokey Mountain smoker for anyone that is not familiar)for probably the past four or five years. Before that I used one of the little cheap water smokers. And before that, over time, I used different small grills that I would feed a few coals every half hour or so all day when cooking a brisket. I'm on the verge of taking the plunge and ordering a Big Green Egg in conjunction with the Texas Egg Fest, will probably turn in the form tomorrow.

• AZRP
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,
    While the WSM did a good job of smoking, that was about all it could do. No way to sear a steak and a pizza was out of the question. -RP

• AZRP
    Options
    AZRP,
    But in all fairness, I made a lot of great ribs, butts, and briskets on it. -RP

• AZRP,[p]While I own both Eggs and WSM's, I am not sure I would agree with you on your post.[p]Pizza at 475 degrees is a snap on the WSM.[p]MVC-016S.jpg[p]Hearth breads bake equally as easy at 375 degrees on the WSM.[p]MVC-007S.jpg[p]Steaks sear at the same temp as the Egg and come out great. It's all about knowing how to set it up for these treats. [p]However, it is sure much easier to do them on an Egg.[p]Dave

• AZRP, no question the WSM is a great smoker. But I'm looking forward to moving on to an Egg at this point. From what I've read, I don't think I'll be disappointed.
  • db
    db Posts: 103
    Options
    AZRP,
    I can sear a steak at over 1200 deg on a wsm. But I'm sure it doesn't hold the moisture like the egg....

• db
    Options
    MasterMason,
    I used to use an old toilet that was filled with gravel.
    Much cheaper than the Weber. My wife said it looked like hell on the back porch though. One of the many reasons she left me.

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    db,[p]Yeah but you'll hurt your back cooking 8 inches off the ground.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • db
    Options
    drbbq,
    My back already hurts.

[ul][li]Tall wsm[/ul]