Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg vs Gas Grill -- Which Route to Take???

Options
2»

Comments

• BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Options
    Rumrunner,
    It's funny, I drink 2 or 3 beers before my egg is ready. Is there something wrong with my egg or do I just drink fast? wink...wink...hahahahahaha[p]BeerMike
    "It's time for another beer."

I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • Madhatter
    Madhatter Posts: 139
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,
    A gas grill is much easyer to use, if that is important to you, go with that. If you want to put about 15% more effort into it to get about 200% better food, go with a BGE...

• Rumrunner, I've always used Kingsford in my charcoal grills/smoker and have no personal experience with lump. I read and hear that lump burns hot and produces very little ash. I also read that lump does not give any flavor to the meat, none at all -- that wood chunks must be used with the lump for wood flavor. Does your experience bear this out?
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Chuck/Tx, I am NOT and will always refuse to be a senior despite the fact that Denny's offers me a senior discount and my local grocery store subtracts 10% from my bill on Wednesdays. However, I cooked with gas for 25 years before getting my BGE. I thought it was simple. However, I can honestly say that the BGE is simpler. I have no burner to replace every few years. I never have my grills to burn up because I left the gas on for a solid week (but at least it was ready when I wanted to cook that time) and I have no drip cup to catch that grease that seemed to always leak out. Starting the fire is just a bit more trouble than starting the gas grill but it takes about the same amount of time to be ready to cook. And the end product is SO much better. The question should not be 'GAS vs CERAMIC' but which ceramic. And the answer to that is BGE.
  • Wise One, thanks for your follow-up. I just now filled out an order form for a Big Green Egg in conjunction with the Texas Egg Fest on May 21. Guess I'm ALMOST one of you/us egg heads now. LOL[p]By the way, which grocery store gives seniors 10% off on Wednesdays?

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Chuck/Tx:[p]Wise One is so gung ho on charcoal cooking that he ripped out his cook top and in its place installed a charcoal hearth![p]Wise One:[p]You get "The Discount?" I did not realize you were such an old fart! Maybe I need to re-check my ID! By the way, I owe you an e-mail but it is behind this week's Princess-Do's . . . Please be patience . . .
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,919
    Options
    Wise One,
    LOL - I never said I was a senior! I said I was retired, but when it comes to being offered a discount - you can bet your biffy I'll take it cauz I'm also a fiscally responsible person (pronounce that Cheap Ass)!

• GrillMeister, where in Austin do you live? I'm in The Hills, in Lakeway. I guess there are quite a few egg heads around Austin, huh?

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,
    Actually, each brand of lump has its own unique flavor. I don't use any smoke wood at all unless I really want a strong smoke flavor. For something like chicken, BGE lump has all the smoke flavor I want. I used BGE lump the last year that I was cooking on the WSM, it was amazing how much less ash there was than briquetes. -RP

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,
    Oh man, how you gonna be able to wait? -RP

• AZRP, it's not gonna be easy now that I've made up my mind I want an Egg.

• AZRP, I look forward to cooking with lump; I've heard a lot of good things about it. As much as a WSM burns, it would get pretty expensive, but since the Egg doesn't consume so much, fortunately cost won't be a factor.

• Brobear
    Brobear Posts: 43
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,
    I bought my 71 year old mother a large egg last year. She has become a pro and loves the egg. Need I say more. :)

• db
    db Posts: 103
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,
    The egg is the only cooker I'd feel safe with cooking on my back deck. My brother started the back of his house on fire with his gas grill.