Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hanger & Flat Iron steaks

Options
BajaTom
BajaTom Posts: 1,269
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can someone provide me the details on what, where, how, and the difference in these two steaks? The local Sams I go to is very cooperative in custom cutting meat for me. I just need to provide him with an idea as to how to butcher to get this product. I know this has been discussed before but I haven't seen it brought up in awhile. Thanks, Tom

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Bajatom,[p]Here is about as good a link as any. [p]Happy St. Patrick's Day 0a48bf36.gif0a48bf36.gif0a48bf36.gif
    ~thirdeye~

[ul][li]Click Me[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Bajatom,
    thirdeye's link provided good description of the hanger steak. .. . the flat iron steak is taken off the blade chuck roast. .. here is a good link that describes this cut . .. its much easier to find than the hanger steak. ..

[ul][li]http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/flatironsteak.htm[/ul]
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    We're going to be doing a Dizzy Pig/Green Egg demo at a Home & Lifestyle show tomorrow and Sunday and as part of that we'll be cooking some Certified Angus Beef flatirons. We've done these before at demos and with a little CowLick or Raising the Steaks they are outstanding. We've secured local CAB sponsorship for Dizzy Pig Canada bbq team, so we're looking forward to cooking all that top shelf beef this season!
    I'll try to get some snapshots of the flatirons on the XL over the weekend so folks can get an idea how nice this cut grills up!
    Qfan