Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Spatchcock

Options
Direct raised 400 for 1 hr.  Rubbed in Dizzydust.. so freaking moist and many more to come
Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Great color!  Enjoy! 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Nice
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Great color and the skin looks nice and crisp.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Direct raised 400 for 1 hr.  Rubbed in Dizzydust.. so freaking moist and many more to come
    Interesting, mine was in my egg for a little over an hour and my temp was 375 to 400 during the cook.  My thigh temp probe must have been too close to the surface as it was way over 180 when the breast hit 160, but while my skin was quite crispy, it was no way near as dark as yours.  I did not add any fresh smoke wood to my egg, so it had only left over smoke wood plus left over lump and some fresh lump for the cook. mine came out very moist, but all fluids ran clear and none of the bones had any red or pink on them, so I know my chicken was fully cooked, but skin was way lighter than yours.

So, can any of you highly experienced eggsperts explain why my skin is so light and Johnny's is so dark?  Is that due to my lack of smoke wood on my cook?
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @Zmokin most likely. Poultry picks up smoke incredibly well. Cherry does a really nice job.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    cherry will make skin dark.  Also sugar in the rub, or dark spices.
    Options
    @Zmokin most likely. Poultry picks up smoke incredibly well. Cherry does a really nice job.

OK, thanks.  I know my last batch of turkey wings was much darker, and they were cooked indirect, but with fresh smoke wood added to the cook.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    @ZmokinI used 3 chunks of apple in this cook.  It had good smoke the entire time.
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"