Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL-Egg temp control

Options
For low and slow smoking, what is the best ratio of wood to lump charcoal?  I'm good for about 3-4 hours at keeping my temp at/or around 250, but then it starts to jump up to 350-400.  Need some help.

Comments

• Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    About 99% lump. Wood burns off quickly so all that's left is lump. I often use no wood, just spices.
    McKinney, TX
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Wood is just for flavor. Put as much or as little as you like. 

Are you using liquid in the drip pan?  If so it is evaporating and causing temp to spike when it is gone. 

Welcome to the forum. 
  • Familyegg17
    Options
    I have a been using a drip pan with my pork butts, but I didn't with my ribs.  For any low and slow should I fill a drip pan?
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I have never used a drip pan, just out of habit I never one, but before I tell you about it I would do one cook with and one without a pan to see any variations.
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options

I believe protein only really gets smoke in the first few hours, in my XL I always start with a full load of lump then when its stable at 225/250 I put the platesetter in and let it re stabilize then take the platesetter out long enough to put 3/4 chunks of wood in then platesetter back in ( which in  total can take 30/45 minutes ) then put the protein on and CHECK IT EVERY 5 to 6 minutes for the next 30 minutes and then every 15/20 until I know I have it dialed in then keep a eye on it. It's not magic its science and air flow. You'll get the hang of it and will be rewarded. 

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    I don't use any liquid in my drip pans.  I also use 1-3 pieces of wood about fist size depending on the protein.

Temp will fluctuate a little as the lump collapses, jumping up over 150 degrees means something else is going on.

What is your setup for low and slow?  Is it a PS or a Woo and stone?  How are you measuring temp?  Dome temp?  Is the probe exposed to the direct burning lump?
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I have an XL and highly recommend a temp control system, I use the Digiq DX 2.
    My process is as follows for low and slow:

1) Fill the egg with lump, you can fill it to the platesetter if needed for longer cooks especially during cold weather.
    2) Light one starter cube in the center of lump. Have your DigiQ set and ready to go.
    3) At four minutes, attach the fan (pit viper) have it set to the minimum draft for low and slow. Set the pit probe on the grate toward the edge of the egg. Close the egg and attach the DFMT on the top.
    4) Set your grid temp, I use 225 to start.
    5) The DigiQ will slowly bring up the temp, will take around 30-45 minutes.
    6) Once the temp has been reached add wood chunks, add platesetter and let the egg stabilize for 30 - 45 minutes.
    7) Add protein, insert meat probe for internal temp. Set the pit probe within 2 inches of the meat, preferrably at the noon setting which is typically the hot spot on the egg,

The key here is to not let your starter cube go for more than 4 minutes. Otherwise your temperature will rise to quickly and will take at least an hour to stabilize.

I have done overnights for 15 hours plus and held the grid temp consistently. The dome temp should be around 25-50 degrees higher than the grid. The dome may rise as the meat cooks but the grid should stay constant.