Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much lump in an XL?

Options
I have seen this question asked.  I now have an answer:  17lbs

Starting with a totally empty XL I used 17lbs of Rockwood to bring it up level with the notches on the fire ring.  The Woo2 and stone actually rested a little on the lump and I had to wiggle it to sit flat.

Btw, I moved the scraps from the XL into my medium before I did this (still hot no less) and it was like trying to fit 10lbs of manure in a 5lb bag.  I didn't realize how much lump it takes just to cover the fire grate in an XL.
They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin

Comments

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Your XL must be bigger than mine, I'm at 7 to 10 pounds max. I just did a 12.62 pound Packer that took less than a half of a 20 pound bag of GFS lump and I still have 1/3 of the lump left.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,210
    edited March 2015
    Options
    20lb bag, totally empty egg.  Filled it up and packed it in.  3lbs left in the bag.

Did a 17hr cook no issues, haven't checked to see what is left.

Usually I just top off.  Every 5hrs of cook or so I have to add a few pounds.  This one I wanted to start like I've seen recommended.  Placed lump carefully and filled her up.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    17 pounds may be possible, I have come close.  I only load up to about that high when I do a low and slow.  You should be good for a bunch of cooks for a whil
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Never used more than half a bag and had plenty left over after the cook.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I don't think Ozzie is saying you have to put that much in there...I think he is just saying it is the max capacity it will hold.  

I bet with 17 lbs you could run it for like 48 hours if you wanted to. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Yes, @SmokeyPitt is correct.  I put in as much lump as I possibly could and still fit my woo2 and stone in.

I am not saying you need that much.  Just it is possible.  It took some doing.  I was doing my first brisket so I went a liitle overboard.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac I experienced the same.  Opened a new bag of Ozark Oak and dumped the entire 10lb bag in my XL.  Didn't even fill it up.
    When I fill my XL for any cook, I usually pile the lump up in the middle and make sure that there are four grate holes completely uncovered.  Two of them at 7 o'clock and two more at 1 o'clock.  I don't know why I do it.  Just a habit I got into thinking it would help airflow and temp control.
    When I do fill it up like this, I can go several cooks without having to do anything but stir and realign the lump.  And I'm talking multiple slow and low's and other cooks on one load.

Cheers!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,238
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac let us know how much you burned on that brisket. I've never filled my XL above the fire box. Never needed to... I still had nearly half of my RW left after an 18hr brisket and cool down. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    I'll post pics tonight.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,638
    Options
    If you use a hammer or a rolling pin on the bag before you open it, I think you can fit close to 30 lbs.  How do I know this? I'm pretty sure I've opened a couple of bags of RO from the Mart before that had already been prepped for me.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Glad a didn't buy an XL. Cooking for 2 most of the time.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,238
    Options
    ^^^ just because it'll hold it doesn't mean you've got to fill her up
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Ok so I will make a new post with measurements, but I did learn at 10pm at night I should not judge weight.

The XL fit 13lbs of rockwood, not 17.  Again I'll make a new post with burn rate info also.
  • Grillmagic
    Options
    Are you filling up to the top of the fire box or the fire ring? I can easily fill my XL up to the top of the fire box twice with a 20 # bag of lump. I just did a 275 dome cook yesterday for 12 hours loaded to the top of the fire box and still have enough lump for tonight's little direct cook. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    For my low and slow I went top of the fire ring.  I will explain better in my new post in a bit.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Can we expect math to be in the new post?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    grege345 said:
    Can we expect math to be in the new post?
    Yes!  Absolutely.
  • Grillmagic
    Options
    Here is the lump l had left from a 12 hour Brisket cook at 275 filled to the top of the fire box. I just cooked 3 pounds of skinny pork steak at 500 for 3/4 minutes each side, It was very good.
  • JonWesson
    Options
    bump
    large small and mini all in legal proceedings but i can use them for now no more, all gone                                                                                                                        usa somewhere on the road