Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Lawn Care service worth the price?

Options
NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
In your experience, is the price of a yearly lawn care service worth the price?  I got a quote (7 treatments) for around $500.

Wondering if I can save some money and  just do the Lawn Care Service myself?  I saw this AD and wondering if this is the same stuff?   

We bought our house late last summer and not sure what previous owners did.  I am struggling with this decision . . . looking for some advice.  
Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,923
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Sure you could do it yourself and cheaper, but do you have the time and desire?  Even though my lot is over a half an acre I have just under 5K in lawn. I pay Tru-Green a year in advance in order to get a nice discount. That cost me $496 this year and covers 9 applications ranging from lime, crabgrass, fertilizer etc. It's nice to have a nice lawn that is weed free and the only heavy lifting I do is paying the bill and then I'm done!
    BTW - I still mow my own lawn and due to the number of trees then a rider mower doesn't make sense so I mow with a normal LawnBoy.
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    Agreed with RRP, it's all about the time and desire to do the work. I have neither so we pay someone.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,148
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Save your money, whether you use one or not, by doing a simple soil test through your state extension service. In NC where I am, it's free testing most of the year.  Finding out what amendments you need will improve your yard and save big $$$. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Mine is paid through my HOA dues, which is kinda nice since I don't have to worry about old people getting mad if my grass gets 3/16" too high or has dandelions.

If I was in your boat: On one hand, I enjoy yardwork/gardening so I wouldn't mind doing it myself. The flipside is that I enjoy family time and going out with my kids on weekends, so the amortized investment of 80 bucks/month is worth it to me.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Honestly, I think it is worth it if you have the coin.  

A typical homeowner cannot simply "do it yourself" as you need a licence to spray the right stuff.  They know what and how much to spray to your yard (or they are supposed to know).  This results to two things.  One, you don't over apply.  Good for you, for the environment, and your yard.  Two, the stuff is expensive (the chemicals and the equipment to spray).  

I used to cut lawns on the side as well as put in new yards and overseed.  An overseed alone would sometimes cost $500.  That doesn't include any other applications such as pre-emergance or post emergance weed care.  

In the long run it would free up a lot of time and money personally.  I'd do it.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    I'm with @RRP with Tru-Green.  I live on a corner lot and have an inordinate amount of sidewalk space.  I can't stand all those weeds when the Bermuda grass is dormant in the winter months.  Everything is starting to wake up now here in Atlanta, and my neighbors have a crop of purple weeds covering their lawn and it looks like $hit!

For me, its worth the $$ paid to get the proper fertilizers and pesticides and broad-leaf herbicides to keep my Bermuda looking like a fairway.

And yes, I do use a reel mower; 22" McLane powered reel.....  Damn thing weighs more than the egg, but it gives a good cut!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    As for the flyer you have, it is only for 5,000 sq. ft of yard, which isn't a lot.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • NDG
    Options
    As always, I really appreciate the help!  I am all for the "easy button" but wanted to make sure I wasnt being stupid with my money.

Now I have to decide Traditional or Organic (bc the dog) . . hmmm? 

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG
    Options
    MaskedMarvel i am also going to do a soil test, curious if nothing else.
    Columbus, OH

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    NDG said:
    As always, I really appreciate the help!  I am all for the "easy button" but wanted to make sure I wasnt being stupid with my money.

Now I have to decide Traditional or Organic (bc the dog) . . hmmm? 

I'd do organic unless they use stuff that won't burn the pads of your dog's feet. Otherwise, get some of those dog booties to have them wear outside for a few days after application. On the plus side, it's hilarious the first time the dog wears them. I about pissed my pants when I put them on mine.
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    Is that an old school Lawnboy 2 cyc @RRP ?     I had 3 of those, all stolen. Great machines... One was stolen from my carport, while still hot, while I took an Iced tea break in the A/C on my couch.   
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I always fertilized my own lawn.  But the past few years I dont see much improvement.  I am wondering if the stuff they sell at the big box stores is "watered down".  years ago it made a huge improvement.

We used to have a mowing service that cleaned up, edged everything.  When we put in the pool I bought a tractor, a weed whacker and a blower.  While I dont mind mowing with the tractor the trim work is a PITA.  I should have stayed with the landscaper.

Garnerville, NY
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    NDG said:
    MaskedMarvel i am also going to do a soil test, curious if nothing else.
    They, the service should be doing a soil test before they start to ensure they apply correct amounts of lime/calcium to correct the pH.  

However, if you do want to know, you can go to your local co-op to get a kit and they'll likely send it off for free (probably OSU) to get samples.  The key is to take samples from multiple spots of your yard as the pH can vary from different locations.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    I couldnt afford that with my 4 acres. Hell, it costs me $15 to just cut the grass.
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    I couldnt afford that with my 4 acres. Hell, it costs me $15 to just cut the grass.
    Even when I did most of the stuff myself I couldn't afford it as I have a pretty large yard as well.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,148
    Options
    My problem is two sided in my yard...

one - I have these Star Trek tough broadleaf violets that make anything near them starve. I literally bought a batch of concentrated Round Up and went straight paint brush on them last fall. Did a grid and everything. Barely hurt em. I hate them. They're everywhere in our neighborhood. 

Two - and this is my problem with lawn services - the neighbor will "help out" and now, without asking, mow other neighbors' yards. Seems nice, but he's got the wrong height for my grass set (hes waaaaaaay too low) and, what's even worse, he has Bermuda. My grass is fescue. Those bermuda bits and seeds and **** get mixed into my yard from his mower deck and infect my grass. It's so bad, I'm trying to tell him again this year to leave my yard alone, or this fall ill give up.  Give in. And burn the yard for a bermuda planting next spring. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• tarheelmatt
    Options

I'm with @RRP with Tru-Green.  I live on a corner lot and have an inordinate amount of sidewalk space.  I can't stand all those weeds when the Bermuda grass is dormant in the winter months.  Everything is starting to wake up now here in Atlanta, and my neighbors have a crop of purple weeds covering their lawn and it looks like $hit!

For me, its worth the $$ paid to get the proper fertilizers and pesticides and broad-leaf herbicides to keep my Bermuda looking like a fairway.

And yes, I do use a reel mower; 22" McLane powered reel.....  Damn thing weighs more than the egg, but it gives a good cut!
    Would love to see a picture of it.  What type of bermuda do you have? 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,838
    Options
    im slowly turning my yard back into a natural setting =) havent mowed in maybe 8 years. its becoming poison ivy heaven in the few places i havent planted a tree. i wish the neighbors would stop with the mowing and the fertilzers as well, its bad for the lake im on and the last thing i want to listen to is the echo of a weedwhaker on a sunday afternoon. now my dad mows the camp when im not around, why, ill never understand =) is cutting grass an addictable drug, do they make a patch for it, hypnotherapy.....
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    @tarheelmatt - I'll have to get into the shed tonight.  Dad used it for a while before he had both knees replaced.  Now he just pays Raphael and his 14 brothers and seeesters to do the yardwork!

I'm in the neighborhood of 40's myself....  I've even got the old front-tine tiller that he used back when I was a kid, and that thing was old as the hills then!!!!

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    @tarheelmatt - I'll have to get into the shed tonight.  Dad used it for a while before he had both knees replaced.  Now he just pays Raphael and his 14 brothers and seeesters to do the yardwork!

I'm in the neighborhood of 40's myself....  I've even got the old front-tine tiller that he used back when I was a kid, and that thing was old as the hills then!!!!
    Well, the mower will do too, but I was wanting to see the stand of bermuda you have and the type.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    im slowly turning my yard back into a natural setting =) havent mowed in maybe 8 years. its becoming poison ivy heaven in the few places i havent planted a tree. i wish the neighbors would stop with the mowing and the fertilzers as well, its bad for the lake im on and the last thing i want to listen to is the echo of a weedwhaker on a sunday afternoon. now my dad mows the camp when im not around, why, ill never understand =) is cutting grass an addictable drug, do they make a patch for it, hypnotherapy.....
    You mow in my parts on a Sunday you get the wild eye from folks.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    I tried to do it myself for the first 6 years I lived in my current house but I was spending about $400 per year on the materials, treating it myself and not getting the results I wanted. I spend $640 per year now with a lawn service and I have no weeds and a really healthy looking yard, I do mow myself but I leave the chemicals to the pros and it shows.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• RRP
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    You get 4 acres mowed for $15??? You must have slave labor available up there! When I was laid up a few years ago I had to pay $50 to have my small less than 5K sq ft lawn mowed! And that was the going rate in spite of strong competition with 4 groups that do many yards in our town.
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Sorry, @tarheelmatt, its a Bermuda hybrid that was a test batch from UGA.  I don't think that it actually came out of the market.  Haven't done any topdressing in years, so its getting leggy.  Burn-down needs to happen soon!  Its very good, but if there is 5 minutes of shade, there will be no grass in the area!  Trees are killing me right now!

• RRP
    Options

swordsmn said:
    Is that an old school Lawnboy 2 cyc @RRP ?     I had 3 of those, all stolen. Great machines... One was stolen from my carport, while still hot, while I took an Iced tea break in the A/C on my couch.   
    That's too bad! No, my Lawnboy is a 4 cycle. I bought it the Spring before they discontinued making Lawnboy mowers.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,838
    Options
    I tried to do it myself for the first 6 years I lived in my current house but I was spending about $400 per year on the materials, treating it myself and not getting the results I wanted. I spend $640 per year now with a lawn service and I have no weeds and a really healthy looking yard, I do mow myself but I leave the chemicals to the pros and it shows.
    if your going to do it this is a good plan, mowing it yourself. i drive thru a pretty upscale neighborhood just before turning onto my street and the whole area was done by the same landscaper, he cut someones grass that had some type of grass/weed and then with the same mower did that whole neighborhood and spread that diseased looking grass onto everyones lawn, big patches of grass that lays flat when stepped on or rained on
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    RRP said:
    hondabbq said:
    You get 4 acres mowed for $15??? You must have slave labor available up there! When I was laid up a few years ago I had to pay $50 to have my small less than 5K sq ft lawn mowed! And that was the going rate in spite of strong competition with 4 groups that do many yards in our town.
    I think he means it cost him $15 just in gas for him to mow it.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I have a buddy that does lawn care on the side and I told him I would cook him dinner every Friday and provide booze if he took care of mine.  Plus he would get free advertising to my neighbors.  He has tentatively agreed.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,237
    Options
    Pay somebody to do it. I did it for years. Fertilizers have gotten so expensive that it's about a wash money wise. One less thing on my do to list. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I've tried both with mixed results. The pros definitely get the job done.