Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

grilling a brisket

bbqwizard
bbqwizard Posts: 119
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
yes i said grilling!..lol I will be grilling a brisket today- something different. I have cooked chuck roasts hot and fast before but not briskets. I figure what the hey- right?! I hear they are tasty this way. Anyone else cook them up hot? I'm just trying to decide if I want to cook it like a flank though (i.e., med. rare, and cut thin on a bias).[p]phillip

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    bbqwizard,[p]I think someone is pulling your leg. Grilling a brisket may be a real challenge to the 'ol jaw muscles, especially if you try it rare or medium. It is a pretty serious muscle. Let us know the results of this experiment.[p]Good luck & Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • bbqwizard
    thirdeye,[p]
    Will do! I thought the same thing.[p]phillip

• bbqwizard,[p]Grilling or cooking a brisket direct at about 350 degrees is a real treat and can be done in the Egg although it is much better if it is cooking in something where you can get the meat about 20" above the coals. If you do it in the Egg, it will need to be turned several times to keep it from charring. I have done several flats in the Egg and they have come out great. I take them to about 200 internal and this takes between 3-5 hours and with the fat dripping on the coals gives this meat a flavor close to steak. They are a little tougher than a low and slow brisket but also very good. [p]Try it and see if you like it. [p]Dave

• bbqwizard
    This is definately a keeper!!!!!! A noble experiment worth trying. I decided to cook it very hot and to med rare. Doing this took about fifteen minutes per side and a rest time of about ten-fifteen (sort of a Trex style). Perfectly done! The flavor was fabulous and juicier than you could possibly imagine. I sliced it on a bias as you would flank. I will definately be doing this one again.[p]phillip[p]
  • bbqwizard
    I forgot to mention that it was a small "Rancher's Reserve" center cut flat. Man! I can still taste it- unbelieveable flavor![p]phillip

• BabyBoomBBQ
    BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
    bbqwizard,[p]Don't take this wrong, but had you shared
    your plan at my watering hole, I'd owe you
    a beer becuase I would have bet against this
    result. You learn something every day![p]Mind sharing details or did you follow Old
    Daves suggestion?[p]TIA,[p]BP

• thirdeye
    bbqwizard,[p]I never would have guessed it. Did you happen to take an internal temp after pulling?[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• bbqwizard
    thirdeye,[p]150-165 inside out
  • bbqwizard
    BabyBoomBBQ,[p]Basically, I marinated the meat for eight hours in a mixture of: [p]1 cup low-sodium beef broth
    1 T spicy brown mustard
    2 T worcester
    2 T Balsamic
    1 T granulated garlic
    1 T Wizard's Gourmet Kickin' Southwestern Seasoning (aka beef rub)[p]After putting the meat in the mix I added thick slices of onion and bell peppers to be grilled along with the meat.[p]I fired up the egg with mesquite lump. Once it burned clean I added a small chunk of hickory and cherry (one on each side of the grate). Then, I went inside removed the meat from the mix, patted it dry and covered it liberally with more Wizard's seasoning. When I went back to the cooker the dome was at 400. I put the rack on the "normal" level and placed the meat in the center. closed the lid and fifteen minutes later flipped the meat over. BTW, daisy was wide-open and bottom vent open 2.5 inches. After another fifteen minutes I went back out probed it and removed it from the egg. Went back inside, tented it with foil, went back outside and put on the veggies. By the time the veges were done, the meat was perfect.[p]I wish I had taken some pics! has to be one of the juiciest pieces of meat I've cooked in a long time. I ended up slicing the remaining meat into 4oz. pieces and vaccum sealed them with juice and a slice of onion. This will be great for whatever. I wish I had a slicer(commercial-type) This would make outstanding beef sammies.[p]I hope you give it a whirl.[p]phillip

• thirdeye
    bbqwizard,[p]Inside out??

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• bbqwizard
    thirdeye,[p]
    lowest temp being in the center, warmest towards the outside of the meat.[p]phillip