Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Creme Brûlée from New BGE Cookbook

Options
jfm0830
jfm0830 Posts: 987
edited March 2015 in EggHead Forum
A crazy work schedule that started with 12 hour days 7 days a week, ramped up to 14-16 and ended with several 20 hour days have sadly kept me away from my Eggs for the last month. But the overtime money paid for a second pit controller (DidgiQ DX2)for my baking Egg and a great new cookbook. The tile is Smoke It LIKE A PRO subtitled On the Big Green Egg and Other Kamado Cookers. It is written by Eric Mitchell, who together with his wife Cindi, have a competition BBQ team using BGE's called Yabba Dabba Que. He also appears at dealer events on behalf of the Northeast distributer for Big Green Eggs. He does demo cooks and evangelizes the Egg. I have had the pleasure of sampling his food at 4 events sponsored by my BGE Dealer, Oasis Hot Tub & Sauna, as well as the last two NewEGGlandfests, He makes some typical BBQ fare but also makes an eclectic variety of foods. Some of the items he makes I never dreamed of making on the Egg, or any other other cooker for that matter. I heard about this book about a year ago now and I couldn't wait for it to come out. 

The book didn't disappoint. It has the wide mix of foods that Eric does at the cooking demos as well as traditional BBQ items. This book has lots of great recipes, but equally important it has lots of info about setting up and using the Egg to make this wide variety of food types. Of all the BGE Cookbooks I have seen, this one has the most information about setup and methods. It should be the first cookbook a newbie Egger gets. For those of you who are interested, I have posted a review of the book on my blog:

Smoke It LIKE A PRO

Here is an example of a recipe from the book I made yesterday: Creme Brûlée. The idea of doing that on the grill never occurred to me. This is one of my favorite desserts. Now that I know how to make it I must be careful or I will soon look like the Michelin Man. Here are the pictures:

The ingredients were simple: Heavy cream, 9 egg yokes, confectioners sugar, a vanilla bean, maple syrup & I added a little table salt to help bring out the flavors. I used my hand mixer for the whisking tasks (center) and an egg separator (left) to get the egg yolks.

The egg separator made collecting the yolks idiot proof. You break the egg using the edge of the orange clip in the middle and pour the egg into the well on the right. The well holds the yolk and allows the whites to drain down into the cup below. You flip the well over and it dumps the yolk into the left container.

The egg yolks and heavy cream get mixed together and are added to the sauce pan together with the vanilla bean, maple sugar and a little salt. This mixture is heated to just before a simmer (scalded). 

The scalded  egg mixture is slowly combined with some reserved heavy cream. The resulting mixture is run through a strainer to filter out the vanilla bean casing and any eggs that may have started to scramble. I strained it into a large measuring cup.  I took my time doing the various steps, so the eggs didn't scramble, I just captured the vanilla bean casings. The final product is ready to be baked.

The finished batter is poured into 4 oz. ramekins arranged in a deep sided baking dish. Boiling water is added for a water bath. One lesson I learned is next time I will bring the kettle outside and fill the baking dish just before I place it on the Egg. Coming from the Kitchen with a filled pan was a bit of an adventure.

The creme brûlée is on the Egg which was preheated to 300 using the DigiQ DX2. I was using the AR with the oval pizza stone at level 1.5 and a 16" round s/s grid at Level 6. This puts it above the felt line and slightly into the dome. The cook lasted 40 minutes and was handled totally by the DidgiQ.  This freed me up to work on some Chicken & Brisket Brunswick Stew.

After 40 minutes the Creme Brûlée was done. I randomly checked 3 of the ramekins  with my Thermapen and the temp was at 175 where it was supposed to be.

The creme brûlée was allowed to cool for 15 minutes on a cooling rack and then the ramekins were covered with plastic cling wrap and went into the fridge to set for 4 hours.

Even though i wasn't going to be using these until the following day, I decided to try some "Quality Control Samples" it also gave me an excuse to try out my new Creme Brûlée butane torch. I set 2 ramekins on a sheet pan to help protect the counter. 

I spread Turbinado sugar across the top of the custard and heated it with the torch. The torch worked quickly and easily I am happy to say. Then it was back to the fridge for 30 minutes.

This 30 minute wait seemed like days. The end results were in a word: Excellent!! Now I must learn restraint when it comes to this dessert.

Definitely check out the new Smoke It LIKE A PRO cookbook, there is something in there for everyone.

Jim
3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Excellent from start to finish as always. Way to treat yourself after an insane work schedule. Cant wait to try this. I picked this book up last week and it is an excellent book. I made the zucchini boats from the book last weekend and they were a hit. I think I will try every recipe in the book by the end of summer. Especially the crem brule. Thanks for posting.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• jfm0830
    Options
    @grege345 Thanks for your kind words. I know what you mean because I see myself making things all spring and summer from this book. Just about everything in it looks great. When I was writing my blog entry I started listing some interesting/typical recipes and I hit 20 or so in no time and I had left out at least 20 more. I am really loving this cookbook.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Nice!  Welcome back.  I missed your detailed posts and fantastic pictures!

Options
    I just bought this book as well. It delivered on Thursday. Haven't tried anything yet but can't wait. The crime brûlée looks amazing!
    LBGE - Nov/'14
    A Texan residing in Denver, CO.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,119
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Wowza.  I love creme brulee.  Never realized how intense the prep is.

Well done sir.

What is the yellow pad in the bottom of your pyrex?
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • jfm0830
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The prep isn't really that bad. only 5 ingredients. You just need to make sure you heat the egg yolks and heavy cream up slowly and don't let it come to a boil so you don't make scrambled eggs. The rest of the prep is just mixing the two batches of liquids together, straining them and filling the ramekins.

The water bath is a bit fussy, but if you fill the baking dish close to your Egg you  should be fine.  Leave out the last ramekin to give you a nice wide area to pour the boiling water into. The hardest part for me was getting it out to the grill. I was home alone and had to go through closed doors alone and trying to balance the water filled baking dish while opening my Kitchen door and screen door was fun. As I said next time I will bring the kettle out and fill the water bath just before adding the baking dish onto the Egg,

But honestly I was rather surprised because I had seen them scorch the tops in restaurants, I always figure making them was harder than it is.
  • jfm0830
    Options
    Wowza.  I love creme brulee.  Never realized how intense the prep is.

Well done sir.

What is the yellow pad in the bottom of your pyrex?
    Oops I missed your question. The pad is a sil pat silicone pad that I often used to help keep baked goods from sticking to their baking pans.Think of it as  high tech parchment paper. I didn't use a towel on the bottom per the recipe, because I would not be able to get as many ramekins in the bowl, I used the sil pat pad to keep the ramekins from skidding around the bowl with the water bath,
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Love creme brûlée. I also always enjoy your posts. Glad you found the time. 
  • jfm0830
    Options
    Thanks Jason. I am glad I had the time to get back out to the Egg.