Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cyber Q question

Options
I don't have a pit controller or a temperature monitor (I.e Maverick) yet other than my thermapen.  I was debating between the cyber q and the stoker and have read through most of the threads here.  I was leaning toward the cyber q given the multiple food probes but I had a question.    Can you just use the cyber q like the maverick and not use the pit controller?  I surely want the pit controller functionality for low and slows but do want just the food probes for faster cooks like chickens, turbo butts, etc...

Appreciate any advice before I make the investment.

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    If you have to have the bells and whistles, go for it. I would add a Party Q to the maverick and essentially you have the same thing, only less additional investment. You will have steady pit control for low and slow, overnighters and remote readings from your Maverick. It's a really good setup IMO
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Instead your post. I see now you have neither. I am not sure, but I would imagine you would just not plug in the pit probe. I would still consider the previous option in your case. 
  • Pghegger
    Pghegger Posts: 58
    Options
    I thought the same but was hoping to get that validated.  Anyone own the cyber q and use it just for the temp probes now and then?
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I am sure that would work. I have the cyberQ. However, as I moved up the chain of eggcessories, I purchased the Maverick and the PartyQ along the way. So, if I only need food temps, I use the Maverick. If I don't want to mess with an extension cord and don't need remote monitoring, I use the PartyQ. And then again, now that I have been at this for several years, I am enjoying not using any of the above. :)
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.