Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Broken Grate - Metal Trivet Avail.????

Options
Q-ing in PA
Q-ing in PA Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All:
I have a Med. Egg, and I know from following the forum, that there was some testing and people using a metal fire grate(like a trivet) in their eggs.
I was wondering if these are now the standard or offered by BGE...and for those that have a metal grate, how do they compare to the ceramic ones. Also, where can a get one.[p]Q-ing in PA

Comments

• Fireball
    Options
    Q-ing in PA,
    I use a cast iron trivet in my medium egg. ( it works very well) A little down on the forum you can find entries talking about other types of grate replacements. None of these replacements are the BGE standard. Welcome to the forum.
    Fireball

• Fireball
    Options
    Q-ing in PA,
    Go to " JCA stlye chops tonight" --Kenny G's posting on 9/15/00 a little way down the forum.
    Firreball

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    03_27_0009_41_04_small.jpg
    <p />Q-ing in PA, would you believe... I use a floor drain in my medium BGE - works great.[p]Check out the link and you'll find info on Trivets and Floor Drains. Have a great day!

[ul][li]Trivets and Floor Drains[/ul]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    grate1.jpg
    <p />Q-ing in PA,[p]I use a trivet.[p]Tim
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Q-ing in PA,[p]I do hate to sound like a spoiler to the previous posts and only offer this to complete the answer to your question. BGE does not offer anything other than their ceramic grate. BGE also does not recommend using anything other than the ceramic grate (altering the product does seem to bend the warrantee quite a bit).[p]Spin[p]
  • Tim M
    Options
    Spin,
    Well, That's news to me. Could you explain where you heard that and how it changes it. I thought I was up-to-date but I must behind the times.[p]Tim

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Spin, I do believe you have just re-opened a can of worms - from 09/28/1999 to 03/26/2000 I had 3 [THREE] of the ceramic grates crack into two or more pieces - during this same time the fire box cracked - I have been using the floor drain since March and it works great - additionally, there have been no additional cracks in the firebox - I sent an email to ed fisher asking why I should use a $8 floor drain in a $400 BGE and never received even a courtesy response - perhaps you would like to explain :-{ Thanks in advance. Gfw[p]

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Tim M,[p]I am certainly willing to discuss. I'm just just not sure of what you are asking me to explain to you.[p]I would suggest that email.[p]Spin[p]
  • Tim M
    Options
    Spin,[p]OK, fair enough.[p]Tim

• Mr Beer
    Mr Beer Posts: 121
    Options
    Q-ing in PA,
    My Ceramic grate just self destructed last weekend. BGE sent me a replacement for the cost of shipping. The original one lasted two years almost to the day. It was really weird - I cleaned the egg last week and saw no signs of even a hairline crack on the grate. I cooked with it over the weekend (250 degree cook for some baby backs) and the grate at the end of the cook was in twenty pieces. ??? Not sure why it would work so well for so long then totally fall apart after a low temp cook. But BGE was very good in replacing it so I'm now back in buisness.

• Tim M
    Options
    Mr Beer,[p]I think some is due to our vigorously stiring the lump that sometimes causes their failure. I am curious when you noticed that yours fell apart? I think many are when stirring the lump since we all get a little to physical at it sometimes. Now, I am not saying that that alone caused a failure in the grates only that that action is the final straw to a weak grate. [p]Tim
  • Q-ing in PA
    Options
    To All who replied,[p]Thanks for all the comments. In short this is what happened.
    Was cleaning out the fire box with my hand to get the smallest pieces on the bottom and thru the grate...all with not too much pressure. When I felt the grate was in three pieces..one half peice and two quarter peices. It would not stay together to hold up lump...anyway, called local BGE dealer to see if they would replace the grate and they said that they did, in fact, have the replacement, and it would cost $15.00 to replace and that I would have to take up any warranty issues with BGE directly. Wanting to cook that night...$15.00 was a small price and not worth waiting for warranty replacement. I will ask for a new grate(the first grate lasted almost 2 years)....as it seems that BGE wants $8.00 for a new one and $10.00 shipping. So..I did ok at $15.00.
    Yes I could have waited for the next shipment to out local dearler...and not cook for who knows how long. So...all in all...I did what I had to do and I want to Thank all who responded to my questions/grate delima. Thanks Again !!!!!![p]Again...Q-ing in Pa.[p]