Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Buns?

Options

What is the best store bought bun out there? I recently tried Martin's Potato Rolls and was instantly impressed.

LBGE 2015 - Atlanta

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    We buy fresh onion rolls at the store. IMO the best for burgers. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chicklet
    Chicklet Posts: 205
    Options
    I buy the ones at the Public bakery and toast em up a little for burgers and some Italian beef sammies I make that are really juicy.  

I guess they are some type of Kaiser.  

Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Sounds like you found the best store bought rolls out there, stick with Martin's Potato Rolls.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    SWMBO are my favorite.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    you need to find whats local. a potato bun would never be served up here =) i dont even think you can buy them. we have bulkies for burgers, cheap hamburger rolls for pulled pork, portuguese sweet rolls from the bakery, split top buns for dogs and lobster, and our supermarket has warm right out of the oven 3 foot french sticks for subs
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    you need to find whats local. a potato bun would never be served up here =) i dont even think you can buy them. we have bulkies for burgers, cheap hamburger rolls for pulled pork, portuguese sweet rolls from the bakery, split top buns for dogs and lobster, and our supermarket has warm right out of the oven 3 foot french sticks for subs
    I'm not too far from you and see potato rolls everywhere, Martins and Vermont bread company mostly.... Martins are my favorite.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    We love the Martins rolls as well.  That is my go to for pulled pork.  I like to use the sliders, just because it is fun to eat 4-5 of them :smiley: .

I like Publix rolls as well.  Their french bread hamburger rolls are really good, but sometimes can be a little too hard for my preference so I give the package a little squeeze test before I buy them.   I really like these for leftover prime rib sammies.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Phatchris said:
    I'm not too far from you and see potato rolls everywhere, Martins and Vermont bread company mostly.... Martins are my favorite.
    been a while since ive been down that isle, only time i ever saw them was on a montana fishing trip, got stuck eating potato rolls and orange cheese =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NCEggSmoker
    NCEggSmoker Posts: 336
    Options
    We use the potato buns as well unless I find some fresh baked ones. Sometimes I find pretzel buns at the bakery...the kids like those. 
    Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    That's what is nice about Martins for me. They're located just an hour away so product is always fresh. Otherwise, there are a few Baltimore bakeries available(Stroehmanns, H&S, Schmidt). Otherwise, there is a downtown bakery that has great bread but it's hard to get to due to my work schedule.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Jessica Alba
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,126
    Options
    I like toasted Kings Hawaiian rolls.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • damnedhooligan
    Options
    Fresh Kaiser rolls FTW! I go to VONs/Safeway

XL BGE with adj rig & woo2

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I eat a burger for the meat, cheese, sauce & condiments.  My preferred hamburger bun is the lightest, airiest, bun I can buy, something for me to hold onto and other than staying together, it should not be something I need to taste.  Turns out, that is the cheapest bun at Winco.  You bread lovers can use whatever floats your boat for bread, but keep them ciabatta rolls, potato rolls, kaiser rolls, etc away from my burger and we will get along just fine.

Oh, and sesame seeds, all they do is make a mess falling off all over the place.
    For me, the KISS principal applies to my hamburger buns.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    As @Chicklet said the kaisers from Publix deli are good. I also prefer a nice brioche 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Any of the Martin rolls are top notch!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • flyer_egger
    flyer_egger Posts: 128
    Options
    I vote for martins potato.  I've had to cutout carbs so I've been jonesing for them!!!!!
    NEPA, Med egg,
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    We only use Martins as well.

Johns Creek, Georgia