Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcuterie

Options
cookn biker
cookn biker Posts: 13,407
We made Lonzino two times. The first attempt was too salty, the second was perfect.

1st time

2nd Attempt

With Lonzino we prepared two kinds of sausage to age

After 45 days of hanging it was ready. It lost 38% of the start weight

After 21 days the sausages was ready also

Molly
Colorado Springs
"Loney Queen"
"Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    K. just picked that book up for me.   Looks perfect like always!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    had to google that meat. I'd be all over it
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• cookn biker
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    Vinny, you had all the sausages and the 2nd Lonzino. If you have any questions you can ask.  Are you on FB yet?
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • cookn biker
    Options

A set-up like this helps to generate the mold too. Inside we have a Humidifier and a heater

Those are some Nduja

Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • WeberWho
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    Vinny, you had all the sausages and the 2nd Lonzino. If you have any questions you can ask.  Are you on FB yet?
    Thanks for the offer!  I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions.  Not of FB.  I'm sure I'm  missing all kinds of good stuff on FB.  Your humidifier has me very intrigued 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • cookn biker
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    WeberWho? said:
    Thanks for the offer!  I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions.  Not of FB.  I'm sure I'm  missing all kinds of good stuff on FB.  Your humidifier has me very intrigued 
    Total cost of 3 items was less $70. Cheap stuff, but they work well.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Badass. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    Holy crap where the hell do I buy a sausage closet?  That superzot looks fricken assume!!!!!
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • st¡ke
    st¡ke Posts: 276
    Options
    No charcuterie there. That there is "salumi".  Italian cured meats. And before nola corrects me, I didn't type "salami". 

Salumi

great stuff. Looks wonderful. Well done. 
  • cookn biker
    Options
    st¡ke said:
    No charcuterie there. That there is "salumi".  Italian cured meats. And before nola corrects me, I didn't type "salami". 

Salumi

great stuff. Looks wonderful. Well done. 
    Thanks. I have misplaced that beet cured gravlox recipe you gave me. Care to send it again. Hope you and family are well.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • CincyTiki
    CincyTiki Posts: 346
    Options
    Wow, just Wow.  Really nicely done
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • st¡ke
    Options
    I mentioned the italian name for it simply because everything you do is so authentic, i thought you ought to give it the authentic name!

i can only post here from my phone. So i'll have to send the recipe via email. I will see if i have your email addy. If you don't hear from me, PM me with your address. The beet recipe was interesting. Make sure you use a thick chunk. It firms up a bit more than i'm used to compared to gravlax and other salmon cures. 

Not doing ANY curing for easter this year. Few foodies. The pate' sits uneaten, country ham gets the stink eye, and my wife and i gorge on the fish and prosciutto and bresaola. But no one else does. 

• MrWigan
    MrWigan Posts: 104
    Options

WOW, that's pretty much all I ate on my stag party in Spain before I got married and that looks incredible.

I tip my hat!

Large BGE, Mini Max

Wigan, UK

• st¡ke
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hey Molly. My email to you bounced back. Here's the recipe. 

Beet Root Cured Salmon

(source not known)

FOR THE SALMON

• 2 skin-on salmon fillets (about 1.3kg/3lb in total) 

• 200g caster sugar 

• 140g sea salt flakes 

• 85g fresh horseradish (little finger-length piece) peeled and finely grated, or grated horseradish from a jar 

• 3 medium raw beetroot (about 250g/9oz), coarsely grated (no need to peel) *

• 1 bunch dill , chopped 

•  Lay the salmon fillets, skin side down, on a board and brush your hand along it. If you feel any little pin bones pinch them out with your fingers or tweezers. In a bowl, mix all of the other ingredients for the salmon together to make the cure. 

• Stretch two large sheets of cling film over a work surface and spoon over some of the cure. Lay one of the fillets, skin side down, on the cure, then pack over most of the cure, and sandwich with the remaining fillet, skin side up. Top with the last of the cure and wrap both fillets together tightly with lots of cling film. Place in a container with sides, like a large roasting tray, put a smaller tray on top and weigh it down with a couple of tins. Leave in the fridge for at least three days or up to a week. Don't be alarmed by the amount of liquid that leaks out, this is normal. Once a day, pour away the liquid, turn the salmon and re-apply the weights. 

•  To serve, unwrap the salmon from the cling film and brush off the marinade. Slice the salmon into thin slivers.

*...you may want to add the beet root for the last day or so only, otherwise it will stain the salmon all the way through. It doesn't harm it at all, but the presentation might be more colorful if the beet root is allowed to stain the salmon only a small distance into the flesh.

*i found pouring off the liquid to make a drier cure (obv) . I do not pour it all off.   Might want to experiment yourself

• cookn biker
    Options

st¡ke said:
    Hey Molly. My email to you bounced back. Here's the recipe. 

Beet Root Cured Salmon

(source not known)

FOR THE SALMON

• 2 skin-on salmon fillets (about 1.3kg/3lb in total) 

• 200g caster sugar 

• 140g sea salt flakes 

• 85g fresh horseradish (little finger-length piece) peeled and finely grated, or grated horseradish from a jar 

• 3 medium raw beetroot (about 250g/9oz), coarsely grated (no need to peel) *

• 1 bunch dill , chopped 

•  Lay the salmon fillets, skin side down, on a board and brush your hand along it. If you feel any little pin bones pinch them out with your fingers or tweezers. In a bowl, mix all of the other ingredients for the salmon together to make the cure. 

• Stretch two large sheets of cling film over a work surface and spoon over some of the cure. Lay one of the fillets, skin side down, on the cure, then pack over most of the cure, and sandwich with the remaining fillet, skin side up. Top with the last of the cure and wrap both fillets together tightly with lots of cling film. Place in a container with sides, like a large roasting tray, put a smaller tray on top and weigh it down with a couple of tins. Leave in the fridge for at least three days or up to a week. Don't be alarmed by the amount of liquid that leaks out, this is normal. Once a day, pour away the liquid, turn the salmon and re-apply the weights. 

•  To serve, unwrap the salmon from the cling film and brush off the marinade. Slice the salmon into thin slivers.

*...you may want to add the beet root for the last day or so only, otherwise it will stain the salmon all the way through. It doesn't harm it at all, but the presentation might be more colorful if the beet root is allowed to stain the salmon only a small distance into the flesh.

*i found pouring off the liquid to make a drier cure (obv) . I do not pour it all off.   Might want to experiment yourself

Thank you
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • cookn biker
    Options
    We took some dry aged salumi to the GA fest last year and with a few words to convinced the people to try it. Big hit, although they were leery.
    Fabriano style salame

Salame Abruzzese

Fennel salami

Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • oldgeezeystax
    Options
    So the mold is desirable?!?!  This goes against everything I've been taught.
    Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories
  • st¡ke
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Certain molds are encouraged. That white stuff is (IIRC) lactobacillus. You WANT that for many types of cured dried meats.  In her last pics though, there isnt any mold. You are seeing whole peppercorn

even the USDA advises that food molds may merely be brushed off, washed, and the food eaten. 

Most of what we are "taught" about our food, especially here in the US, is often wrong. 

The mold here is the same as on brie, for example. 

The green fuzzy stuff stuff is undesirable, but it won't kill you. 
  • oldgeezeystax
    Options
    Good info.  So the hanging meat with mold growing on it pictured at the top of this thread would be brushed, washed, then served?  

I'm not squeamish and eat pretty much everything, I'm just really curious/interested.
  • st¡ke
    Options
    Clean the green. Leave the white, for the most part

that fuzzy white is different than you usually see

the idea of cultivating certain molds is to crowd out intruding molds. Inoculate your meat and the desirable stuff grows quickly. Takes over. 

It also slows drying and changes Ph if i recall correctly
  • WeberWho
    Options

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've had cookin bikers moldy meat before and it's unbelievable.  It's crazy good!

Minnesota
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Reading your words I assume you don't know anything about Charcuterie or making salumi and probably nothing about cheeses too. Did you ever eat a piece of Blue cheese? What do you think the stuff inside is?
    It is mold. Camembert what do you think the withe outside is?
    Have you ever saw one whole salami in a market? If it is a good one is white outside.
    Making salumi is a combination of 3 thing that work inside and outside the meat. Mold, PH, and RH (humidity). When you have a good control of these 3 things you are ok and your products come out good.

Online exists a lot of starter to generate mold or to have a control of the acidity.

http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&zenid=8a52eb845c7cf632aca3c7cbae08865b&keyword=culture+starter

http://www.sausagemaking.org/acatalog/Cultures.html

That's a Table of all products you can choice to use when you prepare salumi.

http://www.alliedkenco.com/pdf/Culture Type And Uses.pdf

The next link is the same mold we used on the Nduja, you can read how activate and how use it.

https://www.sausagemaker.com/productdocs/bactoferm_600_mould_info.pdf

Just to be precise, we avtiveted our mold using a piece of camembert............

Panting the Nduja after the cold smoke on the BGE

With a high RH you can get mold in less than 3 days.

Make a Salumi is an art, and old art, passed through generations of family .

Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    All I can say is wow!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • oldgeezeystax
    Options
    Reading your words I assume you don't know anything about Charcuterie or making salumi and probably nothing about cheeses too. Did you ever eat a piece of Blue cheese? What do you think the stuff inside is?
    It is mold.

Valid assumption. I had never heard the word Charcuterie before this thread and my cheese knowledge is pretty limited to 'I know I enjoy many a cheeses'.

My original post was a poor choice of words. I should have said something like that looks awesome, what is it (I guess I could look it up myself but what's the fun of a forum?), and I'm super interested in how that was made as many in american society are conditioned to be mold adverse. I definitely wasn't trying to say that I know anything about the process and that you were doing it wrong, sorry if it came off that way.

Thanks for all of the great information so far, I hope to one day take on such an ambitious task.