Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Overheard my neighbors

Options
Last night when I was eggin my neighbors son asked his dad if they could grill out. Conversation goes like 

Son - Hey dad
Dad - yes honey
Son - can we grill out tonight?
Dad - Moms bringing supper home. Why do you want to grill out?
Son - Don't you smell that?
Dad - I smell that when its 3° outside and don't pay much attention to it anymore
Son - why don't we grill much.  
Dad - maybe tomorrow.  

I kinda felt felt bad for the boy. They did fire the gasser up for supper tonight.  Makes me appreciate the family time that is surrounded by egging or cooking in general.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    That's just one reason I egg 3 times per week. My children love being outside with when I cook.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    My neighbor owns a BBQ joint in town and he grills literally every night. He'll still come over to see what I'm cooking and he's mentioned getting an egg a time or two. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I do that with one of my neighbors, the only one I like. They are a quiet older couple. He's a pretty cool guy when you get to know him, which I did over food and beverages.  

analyze adapt overcome

• ChillyWillis
    Options
    My old neighbor was a vegetarian and she used to come out and sit on her back porch whenever I'd fire up the egg. She said the smell "reminded her of the good old days". 

My current one had taken to coming out on his deck with a beer and asking for pointers. 

• apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    Matt, you have to invite this kid over and teach him!  He needs to learn the way!

Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Just a theory I have, but if one didn't experience charcoal cooked food as a kid they just don't understand it. I've had neighbors call me in for cooking during dry weather and it's not like I have had any bad experiences with them otherwise.  Maybe they are jealous that I don't go out of my way to be neighborly. I shovel their sidewalks during the winter and ask for nothing in return. 

Maybe I'm just a bigger prick then I think I am...
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I sometimes wonder how irritating it is to smell BBQ smoke so much. My neighbors must think I'm nuts. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Just imagine if the kid saw the food pics you put out??
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    apinion said:
    Matt, you have to invite this kid over and teach him!  He needs to learn the way!

I agree with that. I feel sorry for people that ONLY grill on a gasser. There is a better way! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @apinion - Congrats, when is your life going to change for the better?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    I also bring plates over to my neighbor, he is spanish, and is very appreciative, he always compliments me. His son says me and the mexicans have very different styles of bbq, and he likes mine a lot.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    July 15th. 1 day before my birthday.  I'm 31 and can't believe I made it out of my 20s without a kid.  It has been nice waiting.
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Congrats @apinion. As @DMW said your life will forever be changed for the better. Go ahead and get plenty of sleep now! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    apinion said:
    July 15th. 1 day before my birthday.  I'm 31 and can't believe I made it out of my 20s without a kid.  It has been nice waiting.
    Congrats man. I haven second some due May 2nd. Good time ahead. 

@Mattman3969 I feel bad for him not being able to eat food from the grill. I also feel bad for him that his dad called him honey
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I made the same "honey" comment to my wife. Her reply was what would you call him, you call you daughter honey. My reply was "what boy or son ".  I try not to judge what happens on the other side of the trees.  I'm one of those guys that keeps to myself for the most part.  

analyze adapt overcome

• ChillyWillis
    Options
    In all fairness he is the kinda dad that does everything with his 2 boys. Just today they were outside restringing their fishing poles.  They hunt all the time.  I just think it is different strokes for different folks. They hunt and fish, I egg & egg. No harm no foul.   
    Hmmmm......  If they are always ways hunting and fishing, and you are always egging I could see great things in both of your futures.  Bass is mighty tasty on the egg. Plus you could show them what they're missing when they use that gasser. 
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    You need to casually offer up cooking some of their venison steaks on the egg.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Fireman_Joe
    Fireman_Joe Posts: 298
    Options
    Love it @Eggcelsior , I have one in Florida that hates me cooking too but the other neighbors love it. One has already ordered a medium for him and his wife so soon there will be two of us making their life miserable.
    Gambrills,Maryland

• Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Nothing like a long, smoky low and slow, sitting on the deck with a cold Corona in my hand. Especially when the smoke annoys the neighbours. Ahhhh, life is good.....
    GWN
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    One of my neighbors had a large BGE before I did and he never really gave me any food off it, but I was mainly the reason he got one because I was talking to him about it years ago.  My neighbors like coming over for free food and be guinea pigs for what ever I cook.  I have had no complaints yet, but no one else has gotten one, because they don't want to spend the money or the time for the Egg.  I grow up on the old charcoal briquettes and lighter fluid, because gas wasn't that popular back then.  My brothers have gasses, but love the food I cook on my Egg when they come to visit.  My sister has a Traeger pellet smoker that they like so at least they are venturing away from gas cooked food.  I am still working on my 6 year old son to get interested, but he hasn't yet.  Maybe soon. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    One of my neighbors had a large BGE before I did and he never really gave me any food off it, but I was mainly the reason he got one because I was talking to him about it years ago.  My neighbors like coming over for free food and be guinea pigs for what ever I cook.  I have had no complaints yet, but no one else has gotten one, because they don't want to spend the money or the time for the Egg.  I grow up on the old charcoal briquettes and lighter fluid, because gas wasn't that popular back then.  My brothers have gasses, but love the food I cook on my Egg when they come to visit.  My sister has a Traeger pellet smoker that they like so at least they are venturing away from gas cooked food.  I am still working on my 6 year old son to get interested, but he hasn't yet.  Maybe soon. 
    It's just a matter of time before he wants to join dad out back. You with a frosty beer in hand and him with an IBC rootbeer ( kids love the glass bottle it looks like a real beverage).  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Monaarts
    Monaarts Posts: 191
    Options
    Poor kid...   Take out doesn't sound anywhere near as good as BGE food.