Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat question

Options
I have had my egg for over a year and I find myself cooking the same things. I do ribeye steaks the most and have done ribs, pulled pork, chicken, turkey etc. I want to experiment with some more beef since the only beef I have done is ribeye and that gets expensive. What are your favorite cuts of beef?

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Try a pulled beef (chuck roast) or london broil.  Other less expensive cuts are flank and skirt steak (like for fajitas and carne asada) and they can be quite good.  Not as cheap, but tritip is really delicious.
    NOLA
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Right now, a few days after St. Patricks is the time to buy up some corned beef on sale. I'm making pastrami this morning, 4lbs of corned beef was less than $10 yesterday. That should be about 2.5 lbs of pastrami sandwich.

Yes, sandwich. Singular. I'm hungry.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    You didn't mention smoked sausages or brats.  Try stuffing a pork tenderloin or do a chuck roast in a cast iron pot.  Oh yeah, beef short ribs are awesome too. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Flat iron is relatively inexpensive, and delicious. pork loin and tenderloin is also a great sub for beef. Pork is a lot less expensive and really good. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    All beef is expensive (compared to pork and chicken).  Ribeye (steak or rib roast) is my favorite. Flank and Skirt are very good, but have gotten as expensive as ribeye. Try a good hamburger blend (chuck, sirloin, short rib and neck meat). Chuck roast is good flavored and priced reasonable. I also really like the point portion of brisket. Short ribs are also a favorite.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Love flank for many dishes. Mongolian beef for the wok or for fajitas. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Get some flap meat and do carne asada. Super easy, delicious.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Beef "plate" short ribs are very good. "Chuck" short ribs are also good, but tougher, and so harder to cook. Many places lump them together, and they look a lot alike. Where I live, the plate short ribs are usually quite large, 8" long at least, whereas the chuck are usually cut down to about 4".

Tri-tip, which is somewhere between steak and roast is really good for Egging.

If a cut doesn't have much fat, like a shoulder roast, the meat is great for kebabs after being cubed and marinaded.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited March 2015
    Options
    BRISKET! :smiley:

Seriously, can't believe this many comments and it wasn't already mentioned.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    This is still in the steak area, but making kabobs uses less meat, but makes a great meal just the same. I made these last night from an inexpensive bone in ribeye that was a sale a while back and then frozen.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Sirloin flap meat is still pretty cheap and sometimes hanger steak is too.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    bulgogi beef burritos 
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Top sirloin can be used as a steak, kabob, ground or even for stews and chill (with or without beans depending on where you live). For the longer braised cooks, even round steak works. Eye of round roast or Baron of beef is popular, cooked medium rare, cooled and sliced it is a great deli meat. BGE Eggfest chilli is still a favourite - right out of the BGE Cookbook. ½ recipe in the 5 qt DO, full recipe in the 7 or 8 qt DO. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Asian marinated skirt steak is one of our favorites. It used to be a cheap cut but too many people know about the amazing flavor now.  Tri tip is still a decent deal and good if marinated and sliced properly. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Another vote for beef ribs. I have tried both Plate Ribs (3 bones) and Chuck Short ribs (4 bones) and have decided I like the Chuck Short ribs the best. They are half the price of Plate ribs and less fatty.  They do take some time to cook (about 6 hours) but well worth it.  I did some yesterday and may post some pictures later today.  You need to find a store that sells these ribs uncut since they are much easier to cook and come out better. I buy mine at Restaurant Depot.

I also like Beef Shoulder Tenders, Tri-tip, and Picanha (Top Sirloin cap).
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Shiff said:
    Another vote for beef ribs. I have tried ... Chuck Short ribs (4 bones) ...  You need to find a store that sells these ribs uncut since they are much easier to cook and come out better. I buy mine at Restaurant Depot. ...
    If you don't see them on the shelf, then ask the "butcher."  Many stores get the meats in sub-primal cryovac packages.  They then cut the sub-primal into smaller cuts to sell over the counter.  My local market gets them in two 4-bone slabs to a package.  Since there is no labor involved, they sell them a little cheaper if you take the whole package.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Sirloin flap cut into tips New England style, flank, skirt, flat iron, chuckie
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    RRP said:
    This is still in the steak area, but making kabobs uses less meat, but makes a great meal just the same. I made these last night from an inexpensive bone in ribeye that was a sale a while back and then frozen.

This looks Awesome!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • toothologist
    Options
    Are you not a seafood fan? If so, salmon can be grilled very reasonably, and with some Dizzy Pig Ranging River, can taste awesome. If you do it, mix equal parts soy sauce and pure maple syrup for a glaze. It won't disappoint. Unless you have a seafood allergy... then I guess that's pretty disappointing. 
    "Quality and convenience are rarely seen walking hand in hand."- Alton Brown
    LBGE
    Northwest TN
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    +1 on the Flatiron steak suggestion. We have it once a week. I don't cook it hot & fast since it likes to curl up if done so. Generally cook it around 300 and pull it when it's 115 and let it rest before slicing on the bias. Yummy cut of beef!

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options

This looks Awesome!
    Thanks! I served these on a bed of white rice and added cooked button mushrooms. Makes a filling yet inexpensive meal!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    Options
    Pepper Stout Beef is a must!!!
    Brandon, MS
  • thegooddocta
    Options
    @loveTheEgg that pepper stout beef looks awesome. Mind sharing the recipe?
    Mike - (1)LBGE, HeaterMeter v4.2.4
    Little Rhody Egger - East Greenwich, RI
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    +1 on top round steak.
    about 1 1/2 inch thick, hot tubbed.
    Nom nom nom.                   :tongue:
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @loveTheEgg that pepper stout beef looks awesome. Mind sharing the recipe?
    4lb  boneless chuck roast season it with a good covering of black pepper sprinkle with salt. Cook to an IT of 160. At 260 grate temp for about 4 hours or so

meanwhile....

cut 1 large red onion 1 large green bell pepper 1 large red bell pepper into roasting pan 1 large jalapeño pepper into roasting pan. 

Pour 1/4 cup of wochishire sauce into pan
    squirt a 1/4 tbl spoon of garlic  into pan. Then pour your fav beer in there. I use shiner bock. 

After meat hits 160 IT pull and place beef on top of veggies in the pan and cover tightly with HD foil. Bump egg up to 350 and put pan in the egg

cook for 3 hours at 350. After 3 hours pull off and uncover. Shred beef in the pan and mix well with veggies. Put back on egg uncovered for about 30 to reduce the liquid. 

Serve over rice or make a mean sandwich. 

Its awesome!!
    Brandon, MS
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Smoked White Chicken Chile

Pot Roast 

Both low and slow fun cooks. CI DO required. 

New Albany, Ohio