Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Steak for Well Done?

Options
2»

Comments

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac the best part about eating well done is nobody at home wants to try a piece. I keep telling them its to dry....
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    What about giving them what they want? Get the leanest and cheapest crap you can find. But the hell fire out of it. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    @Tinyfish please please say you don't dip it in ketchup.  That would just be to much.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    What about giving them what they want? Get the leanest and cheapest crap you can find. But the hell fire out of it. 
    Hehehe. Eye of round. They can re-sole their shoes with it after

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    Hell just get some of the junk you see that the butcher tried to tenderize already.  The stuff you make chicken fried steak out of.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    @Tinyfish please please say you don't dip it in ketchup.  That would just be to much.
    That would be a sin. 

Thats why I always buy well marbled steaks and I cook them nice and slow so I dont burn the outside. Anyone can cook a steak rare but try cooking it well done takes a little practice to do it right.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Tinyfish said:
    That would be a sin. 

Thats why I always buy well marbled steaks and I cook them nice and slow so I dont burn the outside. Anyone can cook a steak rare but try cooking it well done takes a little practice to do it right.
    Tinyfish, nobody in there right mind would do such an act of haressy  I'm pretty sure I have never heard cooking a prime steak to 160 as "doing it right" que sera sera 
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    If I get someone that likes a well done steak, I'll cook it to MR and then pop it in the microwave for about 1 to 2 minutes.  A well done steak cooked this way stays juicy. Try it. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • morrobayrich
    Options
    Tent stake!! =)
    Morro Bay, CA
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    If I see somebody pull a steak off my egg and stick in microwave I'm
    stabbing them in the neck with my superfast thermapen before beating them unconscious with my ash tool. 

Little Rock, AR

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Tinyfish said:
    Prime grade ribeye or new york. I know because thats the way I eat my steak. Heres an example of some fine looking steaks. These steaks are perfect for cooking well done. Lots of marbling to keep them juicy.
    Like several have said a well marbled steak will still be tender and somewhat juicy, just don't cremate it. 

@Tinyfish, those are absolutely gorgeous looking ribeyes.

LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Tinyfish said:
    Prime grade ribeye or new york. I know because thats the way I eat my steak. Heres an example of some fine looking steaks. These steaks are perfect for cooking well done. Lots of marbling to keep them juicy.
    I don't know, I think those look like perfect steaks to cook rare to medium rare.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    It works really well on rib roast. Some people can't put pink meat in their mouth and the microwave takes care of that, quick. Plus, you don't mess up your cut of meat trying to get someone else's right. :)
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    stabbing them in the neck with my superfast thermapen before beating them unconscious with my ash tool. 
    My dad did this to me as he hates rare meat... I reverse seared a tenderloin and it was perfect 125 or so.. He got up and nuked this $100 roast... I was kinda BS not going lie.... Burgers or brisket from now on...
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Phatchris said:
    My dad did this to me as he hates rare meat... I reverse seared a tenderloin and it was perfect 125 or so.. He got up and nuked this $100 roast... I was kinda BS not going lie.... Burgers or brisket from now on...
    That had to be painful to watch. 

Little Rock, AR

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Ribeye.  The extra marbeling will
    protect it as much as possible
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Phatchris said:
    That had to be painful to watch. 
    Just his couple slices, painful yes, but not all was lost thankfully.