Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

corned beef

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have a killer corned beef recipe for St Patty's Day?

Comments

• BikesBoarsnBBQ,[p]I don't know about corned beef (you know, stewed in a pot) but smoking a corned beef is how you make pastrami and I would take that over corned beef any day.[p]I usually buy the prepackeged thingees from the store, soak them in fresh water for a little bit to draw the salt out (otherwise they are waaaay to salty) and them smoke them. I always stock up on them on the day after St. Patty's day as well when the stores have them on sale for like a buck a pound.[p]Either way, here is a link to Randy's site. Just don't pay too much attention the to comments about the BGE... I haven't used this recipe myself for the pastrami but I have used others from his site and each one has been great. I suspect that you could easily follow his recipe and make corned beef instead of the pastrami that he has listed.[p]Brews,
    Matt.

[ul][li]Randy's site[/ul]
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    BikesBoarsnBBQ,
    I have tried to cook cornbeef on the egg and for my taste it doesn't work. It comes out way to tough and salty. LOL, Tom

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    BikesBoarsnBBQ,[p]Hey guys, Bobberqer has sent me a corned beef recipe for my site. It has some glaze options that I want to explore and a unique soaking method to de-salt it. Here is the link.[p]~thirdeye~[p]PS...Springtime has come to Wyoming. This morning there is about 7" of this white "springy" stuff everywhere.

[ul][li]Bobberqer's corned beef[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,788
    Options
    2004_0122Image0020.jpg
    <p />thirdeye,
    thanks for posting that, 48 hours with potatoes should fix those red corned beefs that go on sale after the holiday. we can get the grey corned beef here, i think its more of a local thing and its much less salty, with each butcher shop making their own recipes

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]Your welcome. I've never done one with a glaze. Bobberqer is from NYC with an Irish family history. He is trying to explain to this country boy the traditional & regional differences in preparing and cooking corned beef and pastrami. This is very interesting for me.[p]I'm curious about the gray ones. Is that the result of a different curing method??[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,788
    Options
    thirdeye,
    some have a slight pink to them so i believe maybe just a little tender quick or other curing agent is in the mix. the one i showed has that slight pink to it. the other place i get them from turns a much darker brown and i think they are curing with just kosher and spice. when cooked in the tradition of beef and cabbage in a boil, they are not salty at all

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BikesBoardsnBBQ
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Thanks, I'll give that a try. We're getting a foot of the white stuff here in Conifer, CO. Large is in its "egg carton" and mini is hiding under a trash bag!

• billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    Options
    Dr. BBQ has a good recipe that I tried. Like all of his recipes that I've tried they turn out very well and taste very good. I still prefer making corned beef in the pressure cooker.
    bill
  • Bigfoot
    Bigfoot Posts: 154
    Options
    BajaTom,
    I read here that you need to let it soak in water over night to get rid of the saltiness