Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rack of Lamb

Options
kjraymer
kjraymer Posts: 14
edited March 2015 in EggHead Forum
Tonight is the night, I am going to give it a shot. I saw the recipe on the Big Green Egg website for 
Herb-Crusted Rack of Lamb. I picked up two racks at the butcher, a little over 1lb each. $25 bucks per 
pound which I thought was a little crazy! Should I cook both of these or is one enough? 

What are some good side dishes for this? I am cooking for a second date with a girl, so I kind of need to 
impress. 

Who better to go to...my fellow Eggheads! 

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I figure 2 bones per adult and usually 1 rack/8 bones feeds 4 adults with sides.
    I like couscous, mint jelly or chutney and squash and onions sauted for sides.  Asparageese is also a great side.
  • mtp
    mtp Posts: 26
    Options
    Better hope she likes Lamb
    LBGE, Plate setter, Pizza stone, Bisson flame thrower, Replaced by a Milwaukee heat gun,  Maverick ET-732, Bluetherm, and a bunch of beer

Cumming, Ga
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Well all I know is the missus and I can polish off a rack of lamb between the two of us easily. @mtp raises a valid point though, you may want to check and make sure she likes lamb first. Some (crazy) people aren't fans of the flavor. 

As as luck would have it someone else just resurrected an old thread of mine showing a rack of lamb cook. Maybe something in there could help you with your cook?

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1169379/dinner-tonight-rack-of-lamb#latest

As as for side dishes maybe garlic parmesan mashed potatoes and a side salad?
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    I would cook both but I would figure 4 bones per person at least. Roast potatoes is good or hassleoff potatoes with some veggies.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    I'm betting you'll love it.  I've done lamb on the BGE a couple of times and it's always fantastic.

If the lady doesn't like lamb, well, you don't want a third date.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I love lamb, but not at $25/lb.  I mostly make lamb chops.  Your rack of lamb will come out great on the egg.  :)
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • MediumRarely
    Options
    I would axe the herb crust on the Egg.  This type of approach just burns/flakes off with my cooks.  Try a 50/50 combo of honey and balsamic vinegar, reduced until viscosity approached syrup.  Salt and pepper the rack with a touch of EVOO.  Divide glaze and reduce one of them a bit more for plating. Apply original glaze to rack(s) after 10 minutes - the honey will caramelize.  Depending on the size - 20 to 25 minutes @350 to 375 is my typical.  Pair this with garlic/parmesan polenta and grilled asparagus and/or grilled romaine with blue cheese dipping sauce.  For dessert, just a dark chocolate ganache (melted chocolate + cream) - up to both of you to manage the result.  Just remember - it's not only Tequila that makes her clothes fall off.

Always act so that you can tell the truth about how you act.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I would think one rack should be plenty- assuming each rack has 8 bones. 

I personally like the herb crust.  It might get a little char on it but it will still be good.  If you are following the recipe it is just a quick sear then you go indirect, so you can control how much char you get. 

I agree with others though- make sure she likes lamb.  My wife does not like it.  When I made it she was nice with her response "It is the best lamb I have tried, but I still don't like lamb." 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I use blackberry preserves instead of marionberry.. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/roast-lamb-with-marionberry-pecan-crust-231289
    Do this and you'll get some...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    Our local eatery has rack of lamb with all the trimmings for $34  Been considering a rack on the egg but at $25 per lb, I don't know. I do know the mint jelly goes good with the lamb.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    eggo said:
    Our local eatery has rack of lamb with all the trimmings for $34  Been considering a rack on the egg but at $25 per lb, I don't know. I do know the mint jelly goes good with the lamb.
    $25 per lb is pretty darn pricey.  Costco has lamb and I don't know the cost per lb...but a rack is only like $12 or so. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    $11 lb at Sam's. .picked up 2 racks today. Butts for $1.68 lb. 20 lbs on tonight.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Hey Ross.

Steve 

Caledon, ON