Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raised Direct on MiniMax

Options
I did my first raised direct cook on my new MiniMax last night (spatchcock chicken) using the woo I bought from CGS.  When I bought things higher, I noticed however that the thermometer was making contact with the chicken, so I improvised and pulled it out as much as I could while still keeping it functional.  My fear is that the probe was still too close to the bird to give an accurate temperature reading in the Egg - could this be the case?  The cook happened a little faster than I was expecting.  Would I have been better off using my maverick?

Also, I found on my MiniMax the woo takes the cooking level an inch or so above the felt line, where on my XL the woo barely takes the cooking level to the felt line.  Would I be better off using firebricks on the XL to take my grate level is above the felt line?  Or am I overthinking this?

Thanks!

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Use a cork on the Tel-Tru and you'll avoid this on the MM. Just make sure you have the probe in far enough to sense the temp. There's a line on the probe and that needs to be inside the dome. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    On the thermometer, you can take the spring on the inside and put it on the outside to draw the thermometer up a bit.  

On the XL, the xl grid won't go much higher than the felt rim and have the dome close easily around the grid.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Everyone should pull the spring deal behind the thermometer and toss it so the thermometer will rise and fall if contact is made inside the dome. I use a wooden wheel or two bought from Hobby Lobby for wooden cars. That is a Woo setting on top. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.