Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smart BBQ thermometer

Options
brownbw
brownbw Posts: 154
edited March 2015 in EggHead Forum
hey folks - been lurking for a while, and haven't posted a lot...  I had an idea and posted it to Quirky and the idea was accepted. I just need some votes. I thought it'd be a great idea to have a smart BBQ temperature monitor that could be integrated with a "smart home" hub like Wink, Smart Things, etc. that way if you have a smart home, when your meat is done, you could program it to send you an notification on your phone, blink a light in the kitchen, etc. I know there are bbq/probe notification devices out there, but I haven't found one that uses technology like zigbee/zwave, and most just work via Bluetooth, which has a pretty limited range. If you really get down and dirty, you could have it turn off your temp controller that is plugged into a smart plug. 

Anyway, if you want to go vote for it (and help it move to production), just go here:  https://www.quirky.com/invent/1642286/action/vote/query/view=trending
Opelika, AL

Comments

• Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    Cool. I went there but could not figure out what I was supposed to do.  Is there a vote button or something I'm missing?  (Forgive Friday nite adult beverage blindness)
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • TheShaytoon
    TheShaytoon Posts: 420
    Options
    Mine actually does work with IFTTT.  I am not trying to discourage you, but look into what the CyberQ WiFi is able to do...once a trigger is sent via email, the world is your oyster!

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• DeltaNu1142
    Options
    I don't know why I didn't see this thread earlier. I've been using my CyberQ for about a year now, and I've had a Z-wave-enabled home for around 5 years. I don't think it would be terribly difficult to create a Z-wave plugin that would interface with CyberQ. My goal would be to exchange the following data points between my Z-wave controller and CyberQ:
    • read all four temperatures (pit, 3 probes) from CyberQ
    • read current setpoint from CyberQ
    • write new setpoint to CyberQ
    The device would probably look like a thermostat and a bunch of temperature sensors to the Z-wave controller. I just need to find someone smarter than me to help code it.
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Isn't the zwave range shorter than bluetooth?
    NOLA
  • DeltaNu1142
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Isn't the zwave range shorter than bluetooth?
    I just saw this post, sorry... yes, Z-wave range is generally shorter than BT, but that's irrelevant for a few reasons:
    1. Z-wave creates a network of devices, so devices can repeat signals to one another, effectively making range a non-issue if device placement is "good."
    2. I'm not talking about developing a Z-wave Egg controller, I'm talking about integrating everything that CyberQ does with my existing Z-wave controller by tapping into its current protocols with a Vera plugin. I don't care about range, because my home automation system already integrates with other IP devices.
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL