Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

lighting the extra large egg properly

Options
the first time I lite the egg I put in four points in the egg, I wanted to cook at 400 degrees but the temperature went to 650 in a hurry, from that point I couldn't`t get down. Did I build to big of a fire to start with, should I have just started a fire in one spot and brought the temperature up slowly? After I cleaned the egg out and looked at the bottom damper and found that there is a slight hair of light coming threw the damper, is this normal or am I just looking for an excuse?

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,119
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I light in 1 spot towards the back for a low and slow.  Hot and fast I light 1 in the middle.

I close the dome once the starter block is consumed.  I also start to close the dampers when I'm 75deg below desired at the dome.

I also have a slight gap.  If it concerns you use some high temp sealant like used on the Rutland gasket.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Welcome to eggdom. A lesson we all learn early on. Catch it on the way up. 
  • luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    Options
    thanks  to you both, I`ll your advice. thanks again
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• luckyboy
    Options

I see you have a sense of humor, which is good ,life`s to  short to be with out it.Looks like something I would done 30 years ago.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    @luckyboy Mickey is serious.  Lots of guys light with torches around here.

Air nozzle is good for super fast nuclear.  Use when reverse searing.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • luckyboy
    Options
    What is reverse searing? I didn't mean to offend Mickey. I seen touches used when starting big reverse flow cookers, I use chimneys for big fires my self but I didn't want toupset anyone.Thanks for pointing out my error.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited March 2015
    Options
    No worries.  I'm pretty sure @Mickey cannot be offended.

This crowd is good natured.  Reverse sear is when you cook a cut of meat typically done direct with low and slow to an IT below desired, then hit it really hot and fast at the end to sear it.

Usually done with steak or burgers.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I light my large in four places for every cook, regardless of desired temp. I use a mapp torch usually, but if I had a weed burner, I would use it for every cook. I rarely use my DFMT (cast iron daisy wheel) either. I don't think Mickey ever does. Control with bottom vent only. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• luckyboy
    Options
    For some reason, using just the bottom damper just didn't seem to work for me, at one point the i remove the daisy wheel.Being my first time I may have thought that bottom damper would act gas valve, instant control.Anyway it was my first time so I can only get Better using it.I'll see what happens this weekend. Thanks
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited March 2015
    Options
    luckyboy said:

I see you have a sense of humor, which is good ,life`s to  short to be with out it.Looks like something I would done 30 years ago.

Not offended. But I use the big torch (weed burner) to light both Larges and mini-Max. I only use the Mapp torch for the Mini (don't ask why). So much faster. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I rarely use the top for cooks over 350. Below that, I use it. It's just easier to control fine adjustment for me between 200-350. For a 375 degree cook, the bottom damper is only open about 1/2 inch. That has been so constant for me that I can light with my MAPP in 3 spots, set the vent, and walk away. 5-10 minutes later, I'm cooking. The nice part is that if I get delayed inside, the temp will still be 375 30 minutes later. 
  • luckyboy
    Options
    Thanks, Mickey. I can that your a serious bbq er .You've got a nice place there, I like it.
    thanks
    I'll have to get my self a torch.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    It takes a lot of effort to be offensive round here. 
  • luckyboy
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that info with me.I'm use to cooking on a big 4 by 2 ft. Gas cooker.I'll get hang of it

Thanks
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,399
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  As you can tell from the above, there are about as many ways to fire up and cook on the BGE as there are posters.  And to reinforce what was posted above-catch the temp on the way up.  Eggsperiment with what works for you and cook away.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • luckyboy
    Options
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Be careful Mickey!!!! The hot charcoal is about to fall out of the third egg! I hope it is sitting on concrete! You will have worse than that skinned up shin from this one.
  • MediumRarely
    Options
    New to the forum, but I have now seen several posts where experienced eggers use only the bottom vent to control the temp and leave the top wide open.  Although I certainly understand the concept behind this approach and believe it can be done (obviously - since they do it), my issue would be conservation of energy (heat in this case).  Kind of like leaving window(s) open in the winter and maintaining temperature...

It seems on a L&S that this could run into some real fuel.  One of the reasons most of us (or all) love the BGE is the minimal consumption of charcoal, etc.

Oh well, just my $.02.

Always act so that you can tell the truth about how you act.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    New to the forum, but I have now seen several posts where experienced eggers use only the bottom vent to control the temp and leave the top wide open.  Although I certainly understand the concept behind this approach and believe it can be done (obviously - since they do it), my issue would be conservation of energy (heat in this case).  Kind of like leaving window(s) open in the winter and maintaining temperature...

It seems on a L&S that this could run into some real fuel.  One of the reasons most of us (or all) love the BGE is the minimal consumption of charcoal, etc.

Oh well, just my $.02.
    This is not done on low n slow. Most use daisy wheel for them. Me included but that is the only time I have a daisy wheel on egg. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited March 2015
    Options
    To answer the OP, yes you
    lit in too any places. I use one small starter cube and put in center and stack lump around it. Leave dome open for a few minutes then close. The key is catching the egg as it is rising and them start shutting down vents to dial it into temp. Overshooting and them trying to dial it back causes a few problems-- first the ceramic has heated so harder to lower temp. Second choking back is depriving the once roaring fire of oxygen and is asking for a flashback. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    To answer the OP, yes you
    lit in too any places. I use one small starter cube and put in center and stack lump around it. Leave dome open for a few minutes then close. The key is catching the egg as it is rising and them start shutting down vents to dial it into temp. Overshooting and them trying to dial it back causes a few problems-- first the ceramic has heated so harder to lower temp. Second choking back is depriving the once roaring fire of oxygen and is asking for a flashback. 
    +1. I just use one Weber starter cube with my XL. 

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Bottom line is, there are many ways to do this. Some say light in one place for low and slow... I haven't done it that way in five+ years. Others of us light in several spots, regardless of target temp. Weedbburner people love their flamethrowers!

The egg cannot burn lump any hotter than the incoming oxygen will allow. Shut down the air, lower the temp. Simple as that. There are a zillion ways to do that, just as their are a zillion ways to light it. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Welcome @luckyboy. You are getting great advice here. Where are you located?

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Everyone lights there's different around here. I've use a balled up paper towel soaked with cooking oil. I'm sure I'll move up to map gas one of these days.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • luckyboy
    Options
    After studying all the much need suggestions, I started this morning about 11am and have been able to maintain 250 plus/ minus 5 degrees temperature since.

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I use one starter cube in the middle, let is sit for 4 minutes and then let the DigiQ and Pit Viper fan slowly ramp it up to temp. 
  • ElCapitan
    ElCapitan Posts: 154
    Options
    I use the electric starter in the middle, leave in for 7min, pull it, close lid but leave vents wide open, check in 4 for low and slow cook, check in 6-7 for 300+.  Dial in the vents and set up the cook (placesetter, etc).  
    XL Owner
  • luckyboy
    Options
    What type charcoal are you using? I'm trying to use a bag that came with the egg but it's just small broken pieces, should I get another bag that may have large chunks or does it really matter
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Been using the torch for the last six months.  Works fine whether going low and slow or building a big fire for burgers.  I use it on both grills.

Before this, I mainly used a chimney.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.