Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can't read my serial number on my brand new egg

Options
I opened the box of my new egg to find the serial number to get it registered and of the 6 digits I can only read 3.  I have a guess for the 4th digit but the 5th and 6th digits aren't even there.  Any suggestions to get it registered?  I tried e-mailing BGE directly 4 or 5 days ago and I haven't gotten a response.  I was expecting a little more responsiveness from BGE.
XL BGE
Plano, TX

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Pic of digits?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Space Invaders old skool. Nice! Welcome aboard. I wouldn't lose sleep over the registration thing. Doc Scan receipt and file it away in a safe spot. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have read multiple times that BGE is not great at responding by email.  You might try giving them a call.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I have read multiple times that BGE is not great at responding by email.  You might try giving them a call.  
    I concur, I've sent them emails and they seemed to go into a blackhole to never be returned.

I think my S/N was only 3 or 4 digits long.  If it truly was longer, my lid and base did not reflect that.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    I concur, I've sent them emails and they seemed to go into a blackhole to never be returned.

I think my S/N was only 3 or 4 digits long.  If it truly was longer, my lid and base did not reflect that.
    There is no serial number! That "number" that some people seem to think is under their gasket is the identification of the "slip mold" in which their base and dome was cast. These molds do not last forever but are used repeatedly until they start developing flaws. During the early stage of quality control they can catch when a slip mold has started to go bad.  
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    Options
    Mine was hard to read when new but after first fire the white turned black and the inner grove of the number stayed white and it was easy to read

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Yeah I emailed bge a while ago (weeks) about my 3rd egg and registration. They didn't get back to me at all, nice customer service huh.
    Seattle, WA
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    It seems to me hat my S/N was stamped into the Egg itself not printed on.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    The serial number is in the back of the dome on the inside.  Sometimes hard to make it out if not stamped firmly.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Here are the numbers in question. This is cropped to the last 3 digits

http://oi60.tinypic.com/1zwogtg.jpg

Pretty sure the first number is a 2.  The second number is maybe a 0 or an 8.  I got no idea on the last number.

XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    Shine a BRIGHT light parallel with the surface, not directly AT it.   The shadow will make the digits legible.   
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Save your receipt and which dealer you bought from. That is what information you need when handling a warranty claim.