Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

sub-ing the curing salt in a pastrami?

Options
is there a sub for the curing salt to cure the pastrami? we have a few people ( me included ) that are sensitive to the nitrates.
i so baldly want to smoke a pastrami but have not due to the nitrates.  any ideas?/ 
i have read the  cream of tar tar is a good sub, has anyone done this , the results?

thanks bob 

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    there are recipes for grey corned beef using just kosher salt, you can do that before smoking. you dont get the red or the full texture but its still pretty good, places near me make the grey stuff, some add a little pink salt just to give it a slight pink
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    edited March 2015
    Options
    this is a grey from a local butcher with a small amt of curing salt added which makes for a better pastrami than a grey corned beef. i never seen a red corned beef til i was in my mid 20's, we always had grey
    fukahwee maine

• cana-bob
    cana-bob Posts: 4
    Options
    so i get you right i do not need the pink salt?
    my understanding was the pink salt  is required due to bacteria
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

Salt, smoke and time will take care of most of the bad stuff. The one concern is botulism. That's why people started using nitrates/nitrites in the first place. Side bacon is cured with nitrite, pancetta is cured with salt for instance.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    Options
    pink salt is optional, it does give it the red color and does change the texture a bit but you can go without it or take any recipe and reduce it which is what i would do for pastrami.  for corned beef i buy the stuff that has NO pink salt. so however you make the corned beef, give it a final soak in water, coat it with garlic and black pepper and smoke it, i also chill mine then pressure cook it to finish it off. heres a link to get salt quantity from one of the curing gurus

http://blog.ruhlman.com/2010/03/corned-beef-how-to-cure-your-own/
    http://blog.ruhlman.com/2010/03/corned-beef-how-to-cure-your-own/

fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Nitrite allergies are extremely rare.  Most nitrite consumption is through vegetables like spinach and celery.  Your body secretes nitrite and nitrate in your saliva. 

All the info above is good, most nitrites added in cures is for color/texture/taste, although it does inhibit botulism growth.
    Options
    i dont think i would worry about botulism with corned beef, we eat tons of it cured both wet and dry without nitrates here, my butcher has maybe 6 full barrels full of flats curing right now.  only thing i see about a problem was one can of corned beef on the internet
    fukahwee maine

• FlashkaBob
    FlashkaBob Posts: 373
    Options

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.