Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Green Egg Question RE: Lighter Fluid

Options
2»

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The ceramics are somewhat porous. Repeated high heat will drive off all sorts of stuff. Mold, moisture, grease, and even lighter fluid.

One should also atone for the abuse of the Egg by walking down the street, ringing a bell and hollering "Unclean!"
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    We rented a house at the beach last year that had a BGE for use.  The thing was clogged up with ash old briquettes with an empty jug of lighter fluid below.  I cleaned it out and tracked down some lump (which was harder that expected).  We cooked a beef tenderloin and it turned out fantastic.  No residual taste from lighter fluid that any of us could taste.  I'd say go for it.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    As to the lighter fluid question. No the egg is not ruined. My youngest son lit my mini several times with lighter fluid while I was offshore. After a heavy scolding for my son and a clean burn for the mini all is well. If you use lighter fluid to start a fire in your egg when cooking, you will definitely taste it. However you can certainly clean burn the lighter fluid away in a ceramic cooker that has been exposed to it. Just for reference. In a pinch I have used a little bit of #2 diesel fuel to bring unit #4 & #6 online before. This is not recommended practice and I do not advise folks to do it. However just making the point that it can be done with no ill affects. With enough heat, you can burn almost anything away. A little lighter fluid is not the end of the world I assure you. I ran my mini at 800 degrees for 1 hour and all signs of lighter fluid was gone. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    350 for an XL.  what are you waitING for 
    XL   Walled Lake, MI