Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature Regulation

Options
fergi
fergi Posts: 138

I'm fairly new to the BGE and would appreciate some guidance as far as long slow cooking. What is the best way to start the grill and then regulate the temperature down to 225 degrees?

Fort Worth Texas

Large & XL Green Egg

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Fill lump to top of fire ring. Light in one place and leave dome open a bit. Install indirect piece and grate and close lid. As temp starts to climb shut down vents to your desired temp. I never go 225 dome as that is roughly 200 grate for long cook. For 250 (dome)  I go daisy wheel with petals open and bottom vent closed to 1/2 or less. Let smoke burn clean and have egg stable for minimum or 30 mins without temp fluctuation then on with the meat. Never over shoot temp and then try to dial back egg. That is the worst thing you can do. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • fergi
    Options

Thanks Chubbs,

I did not realize that there was that much difference between the dome temp and the grate temp. When you say petals open do you mean completely open?

I can assure you with the bottom 1/2 open and the petals open that my grill will be 400 to 500 degrees in no time flat. I'm looking for some gap recommendations if you have some suggestions.

Fort Worth Texas

Large & XL Green Egg

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @Chubbs  nailed it.   I think he meant daisy wheel pedals open on top and bottom vent 1/2 INCH open.   To keep it low, I open my daisy wheel pedals just slightly.   Every egg is a little different. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    fergi said:

Thanks Chubbs,

I did not realize that there was that much difference between the dome temp and the grate temp. When you say petals open do you mean completely open?

I can assure you with the bottom 1/2 open and the petals open that my grill will be 400 to 500 degrees in no time flat. I'm looking for some gap recommendations if you have some suggestions.

Bottom a half an inch open not 1/2 open. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • fergi
    Options
    Chubbs said

Bottom a half an inch open not 1/2 open. 

Thanks much for the input!

Fort Worth Texas

Large & XL Green Egg

• fergi
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Fill lump to top of fire ring. Light in one place and leave dome open a bit. Install indirect piece and grate and close lid. As temp starts to climb shut down vents to your desired temp. I never go 225 dome as that is roughly 200 grate for long cook. For 250 (dome)  I go daisy wheel with petals open and bottom vent closed to 1/2 or less. Let smoke burn clean and have egg stable for minimum or 30 mins without temp fluctuation then on with the meat. Never over shoot temp and then try to dial back egg. That is the worst thing you can do. 

Chubbs, just so you don't think I'm crazy, I've been cooking a pork shoulder for about 2-1/2 hours this evening and the temperature has stabilized at about 240. Here are a couple of pics of the top and bottom vents. The bottom is less than 1/8 and the top is about 1/16. I want to thank you for the starting technique. it worked just fine. 

Fort Worth Texas

Large & XL Green Egg

• fergi
    Options
    Bump

Fort Worth Texas

Large & XL Green Egg

• noregard
    noregard Posts: 306
    Options
    Those pics are about how I would set my large as well.
    Lethbridge, Alberta         LBGE & MM
  • fergi
    Options
    noregard said:
    Those pics are about how I would set my large as well.

Thanks for the feedback noregard!

Fort Worth Texas

Large & XL Green Egg

• PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    I think the large and the XL are two entirely different cooks.
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy