Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump Question

Options
I am new to the egg community so forgive this question if it has been answered before. When starting a cook, I have been told to wait until smoke changes and is not a strong charcoal smell. When using large amounts of lump, is there a concern during the cook when the fire spreads to new pieces of lump? I am assuming that all the lump is not burning at the same time. Is this correct?

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

Comments

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Once the white smoke is gone you are good to go.   
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    You are correct that not all the lump is burning at the same time but the VOCs of the unlit lump are dissipating because of the surrounding heat, the way I understand it.  Someone else can explain better than me.  Clean burning and smelling smoke mean food on at my house.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Different VOCs dissipate at different temperatures. If the egg is stable at a given temperature, all the VOCs that evaporate at or below that temperature go away. So the VOCs in unlit lump can evaporate away too. That's my amateur view, feel free to correct it. 

Theres all all sorts of nasty stuff in charcoal. Toluene, formaldehyde, mercury... I don't know what kind of dose we get but if letting the egg stabilize gets rid of some of it, it's probably a good idea. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Think radiant heat 
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    After every cook, I put a load of new lump in a heavy foil pan, and place it raised direct on the still hot Egg. Burns off the VOC's so for my next cook I'm good to go immediately after lighting. 
    Options
    Thanks for the great explanations. Tjcoley, that is a great idea to save some time for the next cook. 

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Excuse me, but I'm a dump and light kind of guy. Normally after 15 minutes I close my dome and after another say 5 to 7 minutes I check my dome thermometer. If it is close enough and the "bad smoke" is gone, as people here call it I add chunks or several hands full of wooden chips to the fire so as to get billowing smoke! THEN I add my meat and never worry about "where the smoke came from!" Get my point?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • mtbguy
    mtbguy Posts: 299
    Options
    This hurts my head. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    blind99 said:

Theres all all sorts of nasty stuff in charcoal. Toluene, formaldehyde, mercury... I don't know what kind of dose we get but if letting the egg stabilize gets rid of some of it, it's probably a good idea. 

Man, I'm not sure what kind of charcoal you're burning, but it's not coming from us.

I believe you are thinking of coal, not charcoal.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    @Blassiter, place your hand over the chimney for a few seconds and then smell it prior to putting your food. If it's pleasant your good to go, if it's nasty wait until it's good. If you switch to Ozark Oak, you can start cooking almost immediately. Stuff has very little smoke. I'm sure there's still plenty of VOC's to kill you, but at least your food won't have that acrid taste. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    I light my lump. After 4 beers I'm good to go. 
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    @Blassiter - It depends on the quality of your lumps.  I have found partially carbonized wood in the more economical brands like Royal Oak, Big Green Egg, and Frontier.  These pieces aren't 100% black, with some wood color.  If in doubt, try to break it apart.  If it's 100% charcoal, it should break apart easily.  I usually throw them out when I see them.

One time, I tried putting a piece about the size of a hotdog near the starter cube.  After getting the fire to burn nicely, I closed the egg and set the vents.  After 15 minutes, nasty white smoke was still coming out the top.  After removing the offending piece of wood/charcoal, the smoke was clear and I could add my wood chips & start cooking.

My advice is to either stick with one of the quality brands mentioned by others or carefully examine your coals when loading.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.