Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Making lunchmeat this weekend

Options
Sea2Ski
Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
edited February 2015 in EggHead Forum

I have made several pounds of roast beef so far. Rubbed it with DP Red Eye, S&P. One effort was documented here: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1176356/low-and-slow-bottom-round

I was thinking of cooking up some pork loin and/or turkey breast and slicing it on the slicer. Any suggestions, tips, thoughts, ideas? I am not sure if it is really that easy to make, or if I have just been lucky with the roast beef.

Also looking for any other ideas that you may have. I am loving having access to a slicer whenever I want to. All suggestions welcome.
--------------------------------------------------
Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
....just look for the smoke!
Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Roast beef looks perfect man, nicely done.

For the pork loin and turkey boobs you'll want to chill overnight(to firm up) before running on the slicer.

Always look forward to running the slicer.  Have some Berkwood Farms Berkshire almost finished brining.  Love the feeling of satisfaction from the craft when beautiful bacon mountains form. lol
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Baloney works great after grilling with your favorite rub and sauce.
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    I mostly alternate between a sirloin top round and pork loin roast that we get at Costco.  Occasionally, I will do a brisket.  When I do the sirloin roast or brisket it is typically on the BGE but when I do the pork loin roasts I'm in a habit of doing it in a vacuum sealed hot water bath (Sous Vide style), mostly because it is easier and turns out very juicy.  I have also done the beef roasts Sous Vide style and they turn out just fine, too.  No matter what I'm cooking, I tend to eat a portion for dinner and then refrigerate overnight before doing the slicing for luncheon meat.  I haven't really done too much turkey or chicken for luncheon meat, yet.  I'm avoiding the rolled turkey/chicken products due to potential additives--but remain open to the idea.  (P.S. have a slicer that appears to be similar to yours but different brand.  I'm glad I purchased one.)
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Sea2Ski
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Well, I could not make up my mind.  So I got three different things: pork loin, turkey breast and boneless leg of lamb.  Never had lamb sliced thin, so another first for me this weekend. 
    Pork loin was rubbed with dizzy pig. 
    Turkey was bought marinated - couldn't find one that was plain. 
    Lamb was rubbed with dizzy pig red eye. 

Took a small piece of lamb off as a chef's treat, that is the small piece in the middle. 

Large and MiniMax

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    That looks great for lunch meat. I have 2 whole pork loins in the freezer I need to cook and slice. Great thing about this weather is you can just cover it and put outside to cool off before slicing.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • mahenryak
    Options
    Very nice, indeed.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Griffins Grub baloney. ..@Mickey‌ ham
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    DMW said:
    That looks great for lunch meat. I have 2 whole pork loins in the freezer I need to cook and slice. Great thing about this weather is you can just cover it and put outside to cool off before slicing.

Thanks! That is where I put them.  Well, for the first 2 hours.   Had to bring them in before the nighttime critters came out.  they are going to be sliced tomorrow.  
    Large and MiniMax

• apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    Where can you get that netting around the turkey breast?

Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    Focker said:
    Roast beef looks perfect man, nicely done.

For the pork loin and turkey boobs you'll want to chill overnight(to firm up) before running on the slicer.

Always look forward to running the slicer.  Have some Berkwood Farms Berkshire almost finished brining.  Love the feeling of satisfaction from the craft when beautiful bacon mountains form. lol
    Thanks.  Had some berkshire a few months ago - incredible, isn't it?  Meat has chilled overnight, and I am looking forward to sliceing it today. Kind of worried about the lamb, I want to slice it thin, but I am not sure the meat is going to cooperate. Who knows, I might get lucky....  worst case I cube it up.  Things could be worse.
    Large and MiniMax

• Sea2Ski
    Options
    apinion said:
    Where can you get that netting around the turkey breast?

No idea. The breast came with it on it already. I hope someone chimes in with a source, as having a few around would be nice. Yea, twine works just as well, but sometimes it just wants to slide.
    Large and MiniMax

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Just Google "meat netting."
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    They looked good after cooling all night
    Turkey:
    Pork

Lamb

All sliced:

I think I found out why you neve see lamb sliced as lunch meat.  And this will be the only time I will ever say it: lamb is too fatty. I will still enjoy it because the flavor is different cold and thin than a thicker cut still warm. 

Large and MiniMax

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Do you need my address, so you can drop those off?  Looking awesome. Sammiches to follow this week?
  • mahenryak
    Options
    Very nice!

• Sea2Ski
    Options
    Do you need my address, so you can drop those off?  Looking awesome. Sammiches to follow this week?
    Thank you.
    Sandwiches, yes, but probably nothing special or post worthy.  I am still cutting back to lose my last 4 lbs, so most of the things that make a sandwich great is going to be left off.  But the sandwiches that I do make will still be good to me because lunchmeat you make yourself is 100 times better than what you buy at the store. 
    Large and MiniMax

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Holy s*** man does that ever look good. I'm a big sandwich lover. About how many days do you think it will keep. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Thank you.
    Sandwiches, yes, but probably nothing special or post worthy.  I am still cutting back to lose my last 4 lbs, so most of the things that make a sandwich great is going to be left off.  But the sandwiches that I do make will still be good to me because lunchmeat you make yourself is 100 times better than what you buy at the store. 
    Agreed. I'm on the diet thing also. It's been a long winter here. Maybe reheat the lamb meat in a skillet to render even more fat(flavor) to the hot sammich. Just an idea. Good stuff. 
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    @texasrig thank you.  It will last us a week.  I will also use it in my eggs in the morning and perhaps a dinner as well. 
    Large and MiniMax

• Froman
    Froman Posts: 201
    Options
    Dang it!! Now I want a slicer!!  :)
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    gijoejd said:
    Yes, I had some at an eggfest in FL last year. It was delicious. I will certainly be making that at easter.....  if not sooner.
    Large and MiniMax

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @sea2ski . . first off great post! can you tell us a little more about your slicer?  I am similar to @froman because I am dying for a slicer!  It looks like you went with Avantco?  I see you had a bad experience with the Chefs Choice (I have a CC in my amazon shopping cart now) so please tell me more about your selection.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    @NDG and @Froman ,
    First off, thank you. I did not see many posts about lunchmeat, so I thought I would post one and maybe, possibly help someone in some way.

About the slicers...
    First off, I want to say that The ChefsChoice was not a bad slicer at all, but as soon as I used it for slicing one batch of bacon, I knew it was not going to satisfy all my needs or wants. I am a firm believer in buying the best you can reasonably afford when factoring in how much you are going to use it, and you always want to use the right tool for the right job.

Pros of the CC slicer:
    Small footprint
    Cost was reasonable
    Could slice bacon as long as it was less than about 7 inches (I cut mine into 6") so it was not a problem.
    Super light to carry
    Super easy to clean
    Seemed powerful for its size

Cons:
    With all the plastic, I was concerned with durability over time.
    The blade was small. If you wanted to do something with some height, you would be limited.
    It came stock with a serrated blade, and I think you should have a smooth blade for most slicing needs, so you have to pay more for the blade you will use most of the time. Grrrr.....
    No sharpener. What would happen if they stopped making this model and blades?

So I started to look around and I found there is a pretty big gap between the CC level slicers and the true commercial models. The biggest point of course was cost. I did not want to spend anywhere near $500. Nor did I want to wait for something on CL. Then I found this link:
    http://www.webstaurantstore.com/avantco-sl310-10-manual-gravity-feed-meat-slicer-1-4-hp/177SL310.html

I found that there is a store somewhat near me that is a sister company to the one in the link, so I went to look at different models in person. I was able to see the models side by side. I was shocked at the size difference between the 9, 10, 11 and 12" models. Each one was about 15% bigger than the smaller one. When factoring everything in, the 10" was perfect for me.
    It was still small enough that I did not need to keep in the kitchen, was able to easily carry it (and so can my wife), footprint is reasonable, and it was powerful.  No plastic on this except the black knobs. It will slice a 5" high roast, which I do not think the CC could do, though I did not try it. It also has a sharpener which they say you will only need to use once a year if under normal use (1 hour of slicing a day) so I might use it in 3-4 years, but if I want to use it sooner - it is there.  This thing is a small version of the real deal you see at the deli.

However, there are a few drawbacks. It did cost more. It is bigger, but not too big, and it takes me about 20 mins to clean - opposed to 3 or 4 for the CC. None of these were showstoppers, so I picked it up. I have no regrets getting this. 

If you have any questions, fire away!
    Large and MiniMax

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    So how long a piece of bacon can you slice now?  Vs the 7" cc. 
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    So how long a piece of bacon can you slice now?  Vs the 7" cc. 
    I do not know what the length of the slide is, or whatever the technical measurement is called, but it is probably listed in the specs. The belly I get I end up putting into quarters, then slicing to about 6".  The biggest difference is the height of a roast to slice and the power. I sliced the full height of a bottom round roast, which I think is about the largest thing I would slice with no problem at all, and was able to do so very thin. Almost chipped.
    Not saying this is is the perfect slicer for everyone. I just think this one is perfect for me and any needs I might have.
    Large and MiniMax

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Right there in the description. 8" wide 6.5" high. Thanks. I was just being lazy. 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    @Sea2Ski thanks for the awesome evaluation!  I will probably only use mine once a month - so thinking the CC might be ok for my needs.  Thanks again for the detail in your post.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is”