Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brisket question......low plateau

Options
Sandbagger
Sandbagger Posts: 977
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put a 7+ pound brisket flat on last night at 9 pm. The guru was set at 210ish with the Maverick confirming the temp. I woke up this morning to a 145 degree internal temp on the brisket and the egg rock solid at 210ish. I'm thinking, man that is kind of low for a plateau (145) but one just never knows with brisket. It’s been over two hours later and the internal temp on the brisket is 147 and egg still 210ish. I had the wife goose the egg to 230ish to speed things up. [p]Now I am wondering about the food borne bacteria bugs. I am over 140 but not by much. The hope was sliced brisket sandwiches for lunch today at work, now it might be happy hour snacks, if I keep it. Whatcha think! Tom

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    sometimes theres 2 platueas, once while making pulled beef from a chuck roll i noticed the first plataeu at 135/137. didnt really know how the bugs worked then, but it made for some great pulled beef. i wouldnt worry at all about it.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,919
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    it has been pointed out here before that technically the trichina parasite is killed at 137°, but it's easier for most people to remember 140°. BTW this subject was commented on in the Feb/Mar issue of Cook's Country on page 13 so the 137° isn't just hearsay...

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    RRP,[p]Isn't trichinosis a pork thing?[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    Is the 210 temp at the dome or right next to the meat? I tend to keep my slow cooks with a dome temp of 250, which can mean a grate level temp of 200-250 depending on how warm the meat is. -RP

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    I would wrap in foil and kick the temp up to 275° or 300° if you want it for lunch today....Good luck Tom.
    Larry

• Sandbagger
    Options
    AZRP, 210 is at the meat. I've tried a couple at 235, meat level, and the brisket's thin side usually comes out dry. So, I am trying try a lower temp cook, hoping for better results. I'm going to run home in an hour to see what is up with this dang thing. I'll take a pic or two. T

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    I've drank water out of cow tracks and eaten pork and chicken that was noticibly undercooked in an earlier life and it didn't effect me one bit one bit one bit one bit one bit one bit[p]Spring "Mid Life" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Sandbagger
    Options
    115_1592.jpg
    <p />I took a look at 11:30 central and the temp is now 168 with the egg at 233. 14.5 hours and at least it is moving in the right direction. Man, it sure smells good. I wanted to take a knife and cut me a sliver....but being a good boy![p]
    The dome was up for approximately 30 seconds and now for the rest of the afternoon, I smell bbq smoke. Happy hour may come early this Friday...Tom

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    given that its a flat and not a lot of fat....i'd be wrapping it in double foil right now, and sticking it back in the egg to finish (shouldn't take more than another hour or so to hit 195....guaranteed to be moist that way, and any juices that collect in the foil, pour back over the sliced brisket .. .[p]just my two cents. ..

• Sandbagger
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome, dang, I should have thought of that when I was home...but it does give me an excuse to split the office, take another whiff of bbq heaven and maybe a nibble.....[p]That is why you are the premier all knowing and I your humbled .......[p]
    t

• jerseymatt
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    That looks great. Is there a sauce or glaze on it?

• Sandbagger
    Options
    JerseyMatt, There is no sauce, I rubbed the brisket down the night before with Texasbbqrub #2, brisket rub, and Worchester sauce, wrapped in saran wrap and kept in the fridge till about one hour before putting it in the egg. Just Google texasbbqrub if you want more info on the rub...T

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,919
    Options
    thirdeye,
    you never know what them piggies and cows do at night! Barnyard policy is don't ask and don't tell!

• Sandbagger,[p]Can't really tell by the picture but if that probe clip on the back left side of the cooker is what you are using to control the cooker temp, this could cause a problem. It must be inside the diameter of the drip pan for best results because the heat going around and up the sides of the cooker is much hotter than what is found where the meat is located on the cooking grid. A fellow might move it in close to the meat if this is the case. Just a thought.[p]Dave

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    RRP,[p]7c9d0759.gif

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Sandbagger
    Options
    Old Dave, I wonder about the location of the pit probes. I bought a gizmo (dataloggger) that should help me find a good location for the probes. UPS was suppose to delivery it yesterday but for some reason, it missed the truck. [p]With my set-up, I have approx. six inches of open air between the drip pan and grid holding the brisket. I am guessing the best place for the pit probe is going to be somewhere under the brisket and maybe halfway between the drip pan and grid, centrally located. [p]I know this may sound overboard, but some of us are talking about competing, so I am hoping the gadget quickens my learning curve....Well see![p]Gadget Guy, Tom[p]Tom

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    i would love to see how the competitors on the forum set up for a brisket cook. i see yours is on a raised style setup, where ive only done it low to the stone. the heat flow around the meat on the two different setups would be different and i believe the results would be different.something for me to try. i like the results of my setup with a pork shoulder above it, but have no way of comparing taste and moistness to these comp cooks people are doing.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman,[p]I think you have seen my competition setup for my contest butts and brisket. I do the brisket on the lower level where it is cooler with two butts over it for additional basting. I inject both butts and brisket and do use foil on most cooks. I also like 5 hours in the cooler for both these cuts of meat. I don't use foil at home.[p]15MVC-015E.jpg[p]This is the same cook at home without foil. [p]10MVC-010E.jpg[p]Dave[p]

• Sandbagger
    Options
    Old Dave, I bet that works nicely. Have a good weekend. T

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    amen.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I dunno dude. I have had some really good results with smaller flats than that without wrapping until I pull it off. Remember...he is cooking on an egg with very little air moving through it.[p]A cupla more cents!
    Cheers bud.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ