Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking to TEMP not TIME

Options
Simple cook a couple steaks, asparagus and smashed taters. Rubbed the steaks and cooked at 500° direct. I recently got my thermapen and love it, but I need to trust it. Flipped steaks, waited 2 min and checked temp...almost there. Like the newb I am I closed the lid and waited a few min and 145! I need to trust the thermapen a little over cooked, still good but could have been better. I will def put more faith in the temp. (Sorry no cooking pics weather was horrible)
-Todd
Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    They look good to me... def trust the thermapen and the feel of the steak when you press on it with your tongs or finger, the firmer it is, the more done it is...

At least all of the practice involved is pretty tasty :)
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    The size steak in your photos I cook at 650 to 700 in 8 minutes to medium. Get it to 650 put steak on for 2 minutes flip, let sit for 2 minutes. Pull steak to the edge and close the vents and let it go for another 4 minutes. It should be meduim. If you want meduim rare go for 2 to 3 minutes on the last stage. Also it's easier to put it back on if it isn't done to liking. At 135 it should go up another 5 degrees or so during a 10 minute rest. I hardly use my ThermoPop for steak.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    Options
    @Ladeback69 I will try that! Thanks, @hapster having to try it again is a great prob to have.
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    i can't tell you how many times i've done that.  

i agree w @ladeback69 - for a steak < 1", i have to go by time and feel.  i find it hard to get an accurate temp, even with a thermopen.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    I have learned to trust but verify.  I mostly do a reverse sear for steaks now.  Get them to around 100 on the roast then sear to 130.  Works good for me.  I tend to pull my steaks off the egg and check the temp with the T Pen.
    Milton, GA.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I did these tonight on the method I wrote above, but since they were a little thicker especially the filet they took about 10 to 12 minutes. We had to put the filet back on go another minute or so for the wife. It was a still a little purple in the middle. I had a strip steak last night for a Valintine's Day and it was good, but the steaks I cooked tonight we're better.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.