Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is there really any need for the gasket

Options

I see a lot of people upset that their gasket has burned or leaking. I have also heard that the gasket is not really needed. My gasket is the high temp one and so far so good. The question is do I need to replace it in the future after wear and tear and do I even need one?

Thanks !

St. Johns County, Florida

Comments

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Some people are able to get away without using one but I would think that it would be harder to control temps because of air getting in.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    It is nice to have a good tight seal for consistency, especially for low temp cooks. But no, you don't need it. If there is an air leak, it may change the way the air flows through the cooker, but you're still cookin.

Cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Chowman
    Chowman Posts: 159
    Options
    I like the way it cushions the dome when you close it. Now that you are questioning it, probably one layer on either the top or the bottom would still give some sealing ability. I also recall my dealer saying that 30 years ago they didn't have gasket material on the egg. Can anyone else confirm ?
  • Chowman
    Chowman Posts: 159
    Options
    Also has anyone ever just put a ring of RTV high temp silicone to replace the gasket? Probably a lot cheaper....
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Running without a gasket is "Going Commando". Kinda like these fellas at Salado.
    Flint, Michigan
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I have not had a gasket in two years. It leaks a little smoke here and there but I can lock it down to a steady temp. 260 is the lowest I can keep steady. It's all airflow. If there is some air on the gap them so be it. Adjust the vents to compensate. Once it's dialed in it will stay there.

My only problem is using probes. Now when I use them I put them through the top vent. It works.

Garnerville, NY
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • mgd_egg
    mgd_egg Posts: 476
    Options
    LOL @henapple
    Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois  
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    In my experience in warmer weather with little wind it's not much of an issue. But in colder climates or with wind being a consistent factor you will burn a lot more charcoal after shutdown unless your dome and bottom are in absolute perfect alignment.  Cooking wise it doesn't matter too much as long as you can maintain a temp. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    The egg works better with it. It does still work without it, just less efficiently.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I like the gasket on both top & bottom so I know my probe wires aren't getting pinched by a hard surface.  I also like the tight seal for quick shut-down.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I was without a gasket for about a year until I finally decided to install the high temp replacement one that I got under warranty. I prefer to have one but I did not notice a big difference in temp or charcoal usage. It just stopped the smoke from leaking...

No you don't need it for most of the reasons already mentioned, but it sure helps to preserve your leftover lump when you shut the Egg down after your cook.

Spring "A Lump Saved Is A Lump Earned" Chicken

Spring Texas USA