Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Success

Options
2nd Spatchcock of my early career was a success. Awesome juicy taste. Need to do a little brining next time.

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    =D>
    Seattle, WA
  • Texansurf
    Options

Looks good...

Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    It is the only way I will cook a chicken or turkey, unless I decide to debone and stuff it (which is all the rage these days.)  
    :))
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Beaumonty
    Options
    if you like experimenting, try taking the skin off and using a rub.  i know it's blasphemy in some parts to not have the skin, but it results in delicious chicken on the egg.  my family just doesn't eat the skin and the rub penetrates deep into the meat.

for spatchcock, you would not be flipping it.  i usually cook it indirect, well rubbed and let it ride.  you can put veggies in a pan on feet below the chicken and that's awesome too but it takes a tad longer.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    @Beaumonty, I separate the skin from the meat as much as possible, and apply the rub between the skin and meat as well as put some on top of the skin.  Best of both worlds. It also seems to allow the skin to get crispier.
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    beautiful! looks delicious to me. Supermarket bird?
  • jcjayco
    Options
    Yes, supermarket bird. Kroger to be exact.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    jcjayco said:

Yes, supermarket bird. Kroger to be exact.

nice bird for supermarket. Whats the brine and how long? Ive done both SM and organics. I've had better success with the free range organic stuff, but not sure its worth the cost. I could eat prime rib for the cost of those birds. They are good though.