Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Forgive me friends, for I have sinned...

Options
tkleager
tkleager Posts: 539
edited February 2015 in EggHead Forum
I have not egged in almost a month.

Life has gotten in the way of the things I love.  Hunting, egging, music.

I found my way back to the fold Friday night. 

I have been watching @NecessaryIndulg blog for a while and was wanting to try a few things from her.  Muffin Pan Potato Gratins was first on my list to go with this meal.  The problem came when pulled the potatoes out of the drawer to find them to be big honkin bakers that were round, not oblong. The slices didn't want to fit in the muffin tins very well and I was getting tired of trimming each one by hand to fit.  So I took the idea and went big with it.

I used shredded Swiss with this instead of the Gruyère, and a whole pint of Heavy cream.

Into the Large at 400 for an hour.
Another of Kristi's recipes I had been wanting to try was her Brussels Sprouts with Bacon.  I had thoughts of doing them on the egg in my CI skillet on the two tier rig.

My wife kept telling me that she was craving a "big piece of meat" so that meant that I was off to the butcher shop.
Two Chairman's Reserve Black Angus Bone In Rib-eye's and a NY Strip for the boy.  I seasoned mine (Right) with DP Raising the Steaks.  Good old Lowry's Seasoned Salt on mama's and JR's.  Kept the egg rolling at 400 with the PS in for a reverse sear.

While those were going I worked on the Brussels Sprouts inside in the CI skillet.  And worked on my second Crown Black.

Pulled the steaks at 115, removed the PS with my gloves and threw open the vents.  Wish I would have got a shot of the flames shooting up and out of the top of the egg, but the seared off perfectly.  Everything finished at 130.

This was the BEST steak I have cooked to date.  Everything came out great.  Brussels sprouts were perfect, and the potatoes were rich and creamy!  I was so full I couldn't finish my steak.  Guess lunch will be a real treat this week.
No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
Eggheads Everywhere Map
Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen

Comments