Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MiniMax

Options
I have been thinking about getting a Minimax to go along with my large. Being able to cook at different temps and not having I fire up a large for a few steaks is appealing. I was looking at my local hardware store, and saw that they run $598 is this pretty standard for the Minimax?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Yes, $598 is the MSRP.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Par for the course. And you are right- it's awesome for high temp, quicker cooks like steaks, chicken and fish.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,676
    Options
    Free if you come to the Salado EggFest March 14th and hold one of the two free winning tickets. Otherwise price is about right. They are super handy.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• mtbguy
    mtbguy Posts: 299
    Options
    Just picked mine up yesterday to go with LBGE. Awesome two nights two cooks. Had both of the eggs going tonight.  $525 with platesetter. amazing how little charcoal it uses.
  • Froman
    Froman Posts: 201
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I got a MM a month ago to complement our large. I'm getting used to cooking on it but it is handy! I cook on it first if I don't have too much. Doing two things at once (or three with the space in the large) is awesome.

I'm not as good at getting my target temps yet. Need to use it more. I think it is a different dynamic because of the smaller dome. and you are close to the lump. First few cooks I ran out of lump. I also use it just in the ground with the legs it comes with... So I'm so wondering if airflow through thr bottom vent is tricker.

I paid 635 or so and got an ash tool, lump and starters and a thing of BGE rub.

I've only found one downside. Accessories for two eggs! For example... Do you get a pizza stone for the MM when you already have one for the large!?
  • apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    @Mickey ....must be present to win MM?
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • Mickey
    Options
    apinion said:

@Mickey ....must be present to win MM?

Yep. We like to see the smiling faces :D
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    I might have an eye problem that day. I can't see myself making it to work.
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • Mickey
    Options
    Froman said:

I got a MM a month ago to complement our large. I'm getting used to cooking on it but it is handy! I cook on it first if I don't have too much. Doing two things at once (or three with the space in the large) is awesome.

I'm not as good at getting my target temps yet. Need to use it more. I think it is a different dynamic because of the smaller dome. and you are close to the lump. First few cooks I ran out of lump. I also use it just in the ground with the legs it comes with... So I'm so wondering if airflow through thr bottom vent is tricker.

I paid 635 or so and got an ash tool, lump and starters and a thing of BGE rub.

I've only found one downside. Accessories for two eggs! For example... Do you get a pizza stone for the MM when you already have one for the large!?

I recommend spending about $80 more dollars and get both a Woo and a High-Que. I start faster and hold temp better with the High-Que and cook so much better with the Woo. Oh, and lose the Daisy Wheel ( full air control with the botton vent).