Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just got my new egg - now what should I cook first?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got my large egg today from Hearthside with no problems whatsoever. It was packed well and the driver from RL was very nice and waited while I unpacked it and checked it out for damages. Took me about an hour to assemble it as I was being overly carefull. The video helped out quite a bit but I probably could have done it in a 1/2 hour to 45 minutes if I was handier. I didn't get the nest as my dad is building me a cedar table for the egg (he's 82 and can still build some mean furniture).[p]Going to fire it up this weekend but need some suggestion from the experts on what I should cook to break it in. I was thinking of chicken or a Boston Butt since they are somewhat forgiving if I have problems with temp. variations. So the question is; what would you cook and do you have any words of advice for me?

Comments

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    Yankee BBQ Boy,[p]Congrats on your new egg![p]For my first cook - which was 14 months ago - I did a prime rib and it turned out great! I happen to believe a prime rib is a great idea for a first-timer because you cook it at a fairly high temperature (325 - 350) and the cook goes by fairly quickly depending on the size of the meat.[p]But would certainly recommend - if you haven't already - that you check out thenakedwhiz.com website and read as much of that site as you can. It helped me out BIG TIME and it's helped scores of other newbies.[p]Throw out the manual / cookbook that came with the egg, rely on the wisdom of folks on this list and enjoy. Remember, these aren't "set it and forget it" devices![p]Ed
    Ft. Pierce, FL[p]

• Essex County
    Options
    Yankee BBQ Boy,
    My vote is for a spatchcocked chicken. That's a chicken with the backbone removed, then flattened. Season both sides as you like. Cook skin side up at 350 for about an hour. It's really simple and a good first cook. I agree with eddiemac below. Spend some quality time at The Naked Whiz's website...and at this site![p]Where you at, anyway?[p]Paul

• SuperDave
    Options
    eddiemac,
    Welcome aboard![p] You can't go wrong with a simple steak for a first cook. I grabbed a couple of Porterhouse steaks, about an inch and a half thick, coated them with peanut oil lightly gave them an ample kosher salting and fresh ground black pepper then to the 650º egg! About three minutes on each side and shut her down for the duration of the cook. Steak was perfect medium, about 145º internal and juicy!
    Good luck and happy grilling! er um... Egging!

• BBQInMilwaukee
    Options
    Welcome to the family, I just got my first egg about a month ago and my first cook were baby back ribs. I've made them 5 times already and find it fairly easy.

I used a combination of WessB's techinque and ideas from DizzyPigBBQ

BBQInMilwaukee
  • BBQInMilwaukee
    Options
    SuperDave wrote:
    eddiemac,
    Welcome aboard![p] You can't go wrong with a simple steak for a first cook. I grabbed a couple of Porterhouse steaks, about an inch and a half thick, coated them with peanut oil lightly gave them an ample kosher salting and fresh ground black pepper then to the 650º egg! About three minutes on each side and shut her down for the duration of the cook. Steak was perfect medium, about 145º internal and juicy!
    Good luck and happy grilling! er um... Egging!

Is it safe to bring an egg up to that temperature for the first time?
  • Thanks for the suggestions and tips - I live in the Western burbs of Chicago so contests and eggtoberfests are few and far between here. We try though and I have alway enjoyed and learn so much from this forum.[p]Rich