Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brine a beef brisket?

Options
Rosspmann
Rosspmann Posts: 10
Any opinions on whether or not to brine a beef brisket?
I will be attempting my first brisket this weekend.
I look forward to any and all feedback!

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Welcome. No need to really.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    First brisket ever or just first on the egg?
    I'd just load with lump and Oak Chunks. Shoot for pit temp of 225℉-275℉. S&P only or whatever rub your planning on using (S&P gives brisket all it needs IMHO). And pull at IT thickest part of the flat probes at 195℉-202℉ AND like BUTTUH. Then butcher paper or FTC until your ready to slice. Just remember brisket will dry out quickly once it's sliced. So, don't slice it till it's serving time.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,403
    Options

Another vote for no brine and since I'm here;

what follows are some good links for brisket info:  probably more than you will ever need- http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html; http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html 

and http://bubbatim.com/Bubba_s_Brisket.php  Once you are confused by all you read-just default to the above from @NPHuskerFL.  Several run at around 260-280*F on the calibrated dome thermo and figure about 1.5 hours /lb.  But aim to finish early as you don't want to be stressing trying to push the cook across the finish-line.  Each will cook at its own pace.  You can easily hold for around 6 hours in a cooler.

Key finish indicator as mentioned is when you can probe the thickest part of the flat with no resistance.  Start checking at around 190*F but it could run into the low 200's.  Also don't worry that the point runs hotter than the flat.  The higher fat content protects it just fine. I cook with the point toward the BGE hinge as that is the hottest cooking area (due to air flow characteristics). It will likely be 5-10 *F (or more) hotter than the flat when you arrive at the promised land but don't worry about it.  And I'm in the slice and eat the point-not the burnt ends crowd.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options
    point down to the grid or up to the dome?  Any advice on that?

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• NPHuskerFL
    edited January 2015
    Options
    BigWader said:

point down to the grid or up to the dome?  Any advice on that?

Huh? You hanging this thing?
    Point toward the rear (hinge) & flat towards the front (handle).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @BigWader‌ OR do you mean fat cap up or down?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • bweaver
    bweaver Posts: 112
    Options
    Guy I work with brines his brisket. He speaks highly of it. Also his brisket is the best I've had.
  • Rosspmann
    Options
    This is all some very good advice! 
    thank you and I will keep you updated 

• Rosspmann
    Options
    To answer NPHuskerFL, this is my first brisket ever and I have been an Egger since December. I've done a pork butt, prime rib roast, ribs, steaks and whole chickens. I feel This may be my biggest test.

• bill37
    bill37 Posts: 127
    Options
    brine does not work with beef.  I would injust is tough.  Just cook long and slow and wait till fork inserted feels like buttar.
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options

@BigWader‌ OR do you mean fat cap up or down?

Yes that's what I meant.  My understanding is usually the point sits "offset" on the flat so not all of it is exposed.  I wondered if it is better pointing up so the fat renders onto the flat, or down so it protects the flat from heat of the deflector.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• NPHuskerFL
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @Rosspmann keep it simple. That's the best advice I would give in the world of brisket. I'll be doing one also starting late Sat for SuperBowl Sunday. Any questions feel free to ask. There are plenty of members on here at any given time ready and willing to help. Good luck to you.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    Options

@Rosspmann keep it simple. That's the best advice I would give in the world of brisket. I'll be doing one also starting late Sat for SuperBowl Sunday. Any questions feel free to ask. There are plenty of members on here at any given time ready and willing to help. Good luck to you.

NP, how long do you normally see a "stall" (165 deg.) last before it starts it's climb to 190-200?

From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @warwoman I've seen as short as 1hr on a flat and 3-4 hrs on a decent size packer. Each cut is different.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Rosspmann
    Options
    Well the brisket turned out better than I ever imaged it would! 
    Here is what I did:
    • Started with a 7 pounder that had a good fat cap
    • Did not brine
    • Used a standard beef rub and added peppercorns then let it sit in rub for approximately 24hrs (refrigerated)
    • Removed from fridge and let sit at room temp for 2 hrs
    • Cooked between 225 and 250 for 12 hours
    • Used water soaked hickory chips and dry oak chunks
    • At approximately 12 hours the internal temp peaked at 94 and then dropped to 92, this is when I probed and it was probing like a hot knife through butter
    • FTC for 2 hours 
    • Served on a toasted bun over sautéed onions and peppers topped with bbq sauce
    • Bingo
    Much thanks to everybody that provided advice! 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Damn fine looking brisky! Brisket cherry broken. \:D/ Cheers
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Rosspmann
    Options
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Way to go. Looks like your off to a wonderful start with your egg. You've knocked down all the big cooks.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Rosspmann
    Options
    stemc33 said:

Way to go. Looks like your off to a wonderful start with your egg. You've knocked down all the big cooks.

thank you I am thinking about trying a leg of lamb next. I will let you know when I do.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Rosspmann said:

Here is what I did:
    • Did not brine
    • Used a standard beef rub and added peppercorns then let it sit in rub for approximately 24hrs (refrigerated)
    • At approximately 12 hours the internal temp peaked at 94 and then dropped to 92, this is when I probed and it was probing like a hot knife through butter
    • FTC for 2 hours 
    • Bingo
    Looks tasty and awesome job for your first time. Where did you get the brisket from? You said it was a 7 pounder one, but it looks like the point. A few things that may help make your process s little easier. You don't have to let the rub to set on it for 24 hours unless that's what you like. I tender I've and rub mine down about an hour before I put it on the egg. It also doesn't need to sit out for 2 hours. You can just put it on the egg and go. The peppercorns sounds good and I may have to try that.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Rosspmann
    Options

Rosspmann said:

Here is what I did:
    • Did not brine
    • FTC for 2 hours 
    • Bingo
    Looks tasty and awesome job for your first time. Where did you get the brisket from? You said it was a 7 pounder one, but it looks like the point. A few things that may help make your process s little easier. You don't have to let the rub to set on it for 24 hours unless that's what you like. I tender I've and rub mine down about an hour before I put it on the egg. It also doesn't need to sit out for 2 hours. You can just put it on the egg and go. The peppercorns sounds good and I may have to try that.

I bought the brisket from Costco and it weighed about 7 lbs so it certainly wasn't a whole brisket. There are only four of us and I wasn't having company so that size worked well. But I don't know the differences yet so it probably was the point.
    Thank you for the "tips" I can use and appreciate all that I get!
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options

Looks great, nicely done!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe