Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My botched pork butt that turned out ok...

Options
So last weekend I wanted to cook a pork butt.  It was a 7lb butt that I dry brined Thursday night, so I could smoke it Friday night.  It was around 20 degrees outside, but I was determined to get a cook in.  

Rumor has it I was a touch over served at my neighbors Friday evening, but made it home to get the Egg started around 10:00, and rubbed the butt (just sounds dirty, doesn't it?).  By 11:00, the temp was stable around 225 so I put the butt on.  I set the Maverick to alert me if grate temp dropped below 180 or above 300, and went to bed.  Around 2:30, I woke up and noticed the grate was around 250, and the meat around 150.  Excellent.  So back to sleep.  At some point between then and 7:30, things started screwing up.  Apparently the Egg lost heat, and the alarm started beeping at me.  In my "over served slumber", I guess I shut it off instead of tending to the problem.  At 7:30 I woke up to a grate temp that read LLL on the Maverick, and a butt that was 120 degrees.  YIKES!  I run downstairs and open the vents.  I opened the lid and noticed there were coals burning, so it didn't need to be re-lit.  

At this point, I scour the internet to see if this was going to be safe to eat.  After determining it would be, I proceeded on w/ the cook.  By 4:00 that afternoon (17hrs after first putting it on), the temp had gotten to 180 and simply wasn't going anywhere.  I made the executive decision to pull it and just see what was going on.  To my surprise, the butt was as tender as if it had been 203 degrees.  I'm not sure how it happened, but I'm guessing the butt getting up to a certain temp, then shut down, made it tender at a much lower temp.  Weird.

Anyway, I would not suggest this to anyone, but it finally turned out to taste pretty good.  Not my best tasting butt, but still pretty good.  Anyone ever have something close to this happen?

Comments