Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire at my house

Options
I had a fire in my fire place Friday and it caught the whole chimney on fire. If it wasn't for a Neighbor walking his dog it would have been way worse. Got a lot of water and some smoke damage. If you own a 2 story home buy a fire ladder. **** gets scary quick. My egg near the chimney on the back deck escape with no injuries. I feel very thankful today. Off to the Residents Inn for a while with no egg. Here is a pic about 5 minutes before the Fire Dept. Showed up. image
Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Wow! Hate to hear that. Glad everyone was safe!
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Kevin I am so sorry. A house fire scares the crap out of me. I live in an old wood house built in 1890. 

Hopefully you will be back home soon. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Glad it all worked out.  Thanks for the safety tip.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,047
    Options
    Scary stuff! Glad to hear everyone is ok. You owe your neighbor some good Q!!!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Man. Scary stuff there. Need to get the chimney cleaned and only burn hard woods. Assuming the creosote caught?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    Man that must have been scary, glad you all made it out safe. I hope your possessions made it also.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Close call for sure! I'm thankful that you and your family were able to get out safe and that the fire dept was so prompt. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • StillSmoken
    Options
    @Chubbs I had my Chimney cleaned about 3 years ago and only burn hard woods. They think somehow an amber got out of the protected firebox/pipe area and in the chimney.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options

What a blessing nobody got hurt!

Flint, Michigan
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

@Chubbs I had my Chimney cleaned about 3 years ago and only burn hard woods. They think somehow an amber got out of the protected firebox/pipe area and in the chimney.

Damn man. I am sorry--- that sucks and really scary. I am glad you and the family are okay. I make fires almost nightly in the winter and this has always been a fear of mine having a house from the 1950s. Take care brother
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Glad your house is still standing. The house I live in burned down a couple years before buying it after being completely rebuilt. I can't imagine going through that. Chimneys aren't something to do a clean burn on!
    Dunedin, FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Blessing that nobody was injured. Sorry to see this happened to y'all. Good PSA to put out there especially this time of year.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Glad no one was hurt. Had our chimney cleaned a few weeks ago and they found some significant cracks and told us not to do a fire until fixed. Regular chimney inspections are important.
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    I'm glad no one was injured and only minimal damage. Your blessed.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    I'm happy to hear that everyone is safe.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Having to do the repairs sucks ... but, if the family is safe then all is good. 

Did get one chuckle out of your situation ... who else but an egger would stop to take a picture to share with friends when his house is in danger of burning down?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Glad everyone got out safely!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Smokinpig
    Options
    That is scary. Glad no one was hurt.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Glad y'all got out ok!

Stuff can be replaced.
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Thank goodness you are all OK.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Thank God and your neighbor. Glad to hear it was not any worse. Take care my friend
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Chicklet
    Chicklet Posts: 205
    Options
    Yikes!  So glad everyone is safe and sound tonight.  I'd say your neighbor deserves a big ol BGE feast when y'all get back home.  

Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob
  • StillSmoken
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the kind words. The main reason I posted this was to inspire you folks to have your chimney inspected. After talking to a few of many fire fighters who showed up this is not as uncommon as I thought. The Chief firefighter said he won't have a real wood burning fire in a Pre fabricated fire place. I hate gas logs but we are now probably going to install them.
  • Firemanyz
    Options
    Glad to hear everyone is ok. A word to everyone out there that has a fire place or wood stove, it is a great idea to have a 10# dry chemical fire extinguisher handy near the fire area. Shoot it up the chimney and close the stove or fireplace doors so it will rise and put the fire out. BUT WHAT EVER YOU DO, DONT DELAY CALLING 911. I highly recommend everyone find a video or two on YouTube that showes the how to use an extinguisher.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Real brick or stone fireplaces with brick or stone chimney's are pretty safe.
    These metal boxes inside wood framing that are built in most of modern suburbia are potential fire hazards.  I rarely use mine, but when I do, it's the lazyman fire with a duraflame log.

my mountain cabin has a real fireplace made from stone and that I burn real wood in.  there I am more afraid of starting a forest fire than the house catching fire though.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    WOW. Glad everyone is ok. Did you have a liner in you chimney?
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,676
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Glad all are ok
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    @StillSmoken, glad all was safe. Hopefully your most valuable(cherished) belongings escaped without smoke and water damage. Take your time with the insurance company, they are very friendly and make you feel like they're doing everything to help your situation. Gather your thoughts when dealing with them.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • StillSmoken
    Options
    @stemc33 thank you. So far Nationwide has been awesome. I'm not concerned with the materialistic things. At the time of the fire my wife,mother,sister and her two young boys were at the house. I'm blessed it wasn't worse.
  • Don_Piero
    Options
    That's scary. Great neighbour and happy to hear everyone was safe.
    Piero from South Etobicoke in Toronto and sometimes Pinellas Park, St.Petersburg, XL-BGE